teknow

Cycles 4D Question

I have an iMac Retina 5K late 2015. Processor is 4 GHz core i7, 32 GB memory, and AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB
I am setting up my new Cycles 4D and in the preferences under Render Nodes Device should I select CUDA or CPU?

and should I check Open Shading Language?

I am beginning to feel like my first day with C4D but when I see SSS under Cycles I get motivated instead of glassy eyed!

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

There is no CUDA for us Mac peeps. They are supposedly working on a version to utilize all GPUs, but we'll see. Like ProRender, but it ain't there yet.

OK, technically, if you find an old Mac Pro tower (cheese grater) you can set it up with an NVIDIA card and get CUDA, or set up an external GPU box. I've seen people do these things to use Redshift and Octane.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you. I know zero about graphics cards and renderers.

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

You should select OpenCL, but I hear Mac got rid of support for that because money.  Switch to PC if you want to render fast.  With Final Cut going down hill there is no reason to be on mac anymore.

The Open Shading Laguage is if you write a custom shader in C++ for Cycles.  It's really high end.  I've never used it because it's CPU only.

Cycles is also working on getting RTX working with Cycles with could double or more the speed so if you have a little extra money after switch to PC I'd buy a Nvidia RTX 2080 ti.