Info News:
  • C4D Cafe 2.0 COMING SOON!

Sign in to follow this  
chrisjones

How would I tackle this?

Hey all,

Bit nooby this one – I wish to create the brushed effect shown on this surface using C4D native materials and Physical renderer. I've been spending so much time learning modelling, and wanted a few decent models first before moving on to texturing. The model has two plastic surfaces – the outside of the device has a fine diffuse black and the centre, around the jogwheel, has that kind of anisotropy surface. I have created a layer in photoshop using noise and motion blur, as you would if you wanted to create a brushed metal surface in photoshop. Do I use a luma shader? or put it in the reflection channel? how would you guys do it? I guess it's just a dark metal really?

cdj2000nxs2d-for-centre-panel-surface.jpg

pioneer-dj-cdj-2000nxs2-pro-dj-multi-player-with-waterproof-gator-case-decksaver-cover-package-4bd-for-centre-panel-surface.jpg

Anisotropy is your friend here, and the one-stop answer to this. Just load an Anisotropic Reflectance layer into your refs channel (it's in the type list under Beckmann and whatnot), use primary scratches only (or secondary, depending on which direction you want), and increase roughness to around 60%. You'll also need something contrasty like an HDRI on a Sky object in the scene to provide the reflections you need to see the effect. Colour-wise just put a mid grey in the colour slot of that reflectance layer.

Hopefully that gives you a shunt in the right direction...

CBR

It's too bad your reference "images" are photoshopped renders :wackywink:

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Anisotropy is your friend here, and the one-stop answer to this. Just load an Anisotropic Reflectance layer into your refs channel (it's in the type list under Beckmann and whatnot), use primary scratches only (or secondary, depending on which direction you want), and increase roughness to around 60%. You'll also need something contrasty like an HDRI on a Sky object in the scene to provide the reflections you need to see the effect. Colour-wise just put a mid grey in the colour slot of that reflectance layer.

Hopefully that gives you a shunt in the right direction...

CBR

Hey thanks Cerbera, really appreciate you taking the time to explain. Trust me I'm not one to ask first without trying. I did a few experiments, got fairly close with a layer shader in the colour channel but it got so convoluted it became difficult to tweak as it was all so intertwined. I knew it could be a simple process. I guess I should have persevered with the anisotropy in the first place!

You're welcome. Here's one I made earlier that shows that anisotropy working like a charm (the bar above the keys)...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, natevplas said:

Yeah I have quite a few of this device and they are waaaaay too perfect to be anything but renders. I actually began making this because I'd seen a thing a while back Jon Dickinson of Motionworks had posted on his Twitter feed about how to do the jogwheel – the centre wheel that mimics a turntable – and just carried on from there. It's kind of like my practice model, where I attempt different methods. Here's a basic render of what I've created so far:

CDJ2000_NEW_Stage-05-9_WIP.jpg

CDJ2000_NEW_Stage-03_WIP 3:4 front.jpg

CDJ2000_NEW_Stage-03_WIP.jpg

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera great work! seems we have similar interests in things to create in 3d. I may well be asking your guidance again no doubt :129fs238648:

Indeed. Those are very pleasing clay renders you got there...

CBR

17 hours ago, natevplas said:

I'd argue theres not even much original rendering left, it looks sooo fake :ohmy:

@chrisjones yours is going to be 1000x better than your reference!

• Topic Author
  • @natevplas

I get your sentiment thanks! I've actually just been spending ages trying to use good practice to get models that ok, maybe not 'perfect' but I have learned that doing a cheap, sh*** boole-ridden model causes grief all the way down the line further on. I guess after all that modelling I just wanted to find a quick solution so I can get lighting, then rendering, and hopefuly crank out some nice renders for my folio. I'm definitely gonna do cerbera's method first and see how I get on – he's got a few examples of these kind of devices modeled and rendered in the same way so for me that makes him the go to guy for advice on this technique.