Sign in to follow this  
Nestor Diaz

Red Shift - Material pipeline problem

Hey guys having a problem putting a bump map and adding gloss correctly to my label for a jar. 
This is my pipeline for the material. How would i go about putting a bump map to add some rise for the label. 
That's the most important, if you can help with the gloss... i love you forever. 

Attached is the file and also dropbox with the HDR 8k and the label just incase it didnt come with the file!

Any help would be appreciated. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1k7i1957vm379gx/AADq4PzsPJVGx3RIg9pQ5aZ_a?dl=0

Also attached is picture of the pipeline and the results on the right 

HELP.jpg

Brownie Batter Jar.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Still stuck on this issue, hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance ! 

38 minutes ago, Nestor Diaz said:

Still stuck on this issue, hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance ! 

Could you just apply the texture for the label to a selection and adjust as a separate materiel to the jar?

You could also split the lid from the jar, UV the jar and add the texture to your UV texture.

• Topic Author
  • Hmm , I get you. That’s another beast to tackle, guess back to the tutorials lol. 

I definitely don’t know how to UV anything but I’m sure I can find a tutorial on YouTube. 

Thanks for the help. I will try building a UV map for the jar. 

Just looking at some of the uv maps from

poliigon and other sites scares my pants off me. 

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, anglereserve said:

Could you just apply the texture for the label to a selection and adjust as a separate materiel to the jar?

You could also split the lid from the jar, UV the jar and add the texture to your UV texture.

Wait I think I just understood what you said. Instead of using a material blender. 

I should make a Diffuse map with the label and glass together?  

A normal map, gloss roughness map?

is there a application to help with making diffuse color textures,

normal maps, and reflection.

or anyone know a tutorial? Thanks brothers! 

Never mask refractive materials. The label need a front and backside. So it should be an own geometry with a shader that does separate this. Also translucence is important on that label. There are many examples for leaves. 

Redshift shading is a bit different to other render, but you can do everything and its really fun. 

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, RobertL said:

Never mask refractive materials. The label need a front and backside. So it should be an own geometry with a shader that does separate this. Also translucence is important on that label. There are many examples for leaves. 

Redshift shading is a bit different to other render, but you can do everything and its really fun. 

@RobertL Wait I should add translucency on the label? Wouldnt that dilute the color on the label. Can you give me a example? 

Every paper getting lit from behind should show it on the front side. 

Hi,

I’m not a Redshift guru (been using it for about 4 months now), but it seems that your node hierarchy is a bit weird. You can connect pretty anything to the output node (it is common practice to do so, in order to view a particular shader’s behaviour on the geometry), but in this case I’m not sure if it’s the most efficient way to create the effect you’re looking for.

I’ve downloaded your files and had a look to your project. There’s a few problems, but maybe you’re aware of them (it’s a work in progress after all), so let’s focus on your main question :-)

For the label, it is much easier to have it on a distinct object. At least in this case, because it just wraps around all the jar. By doing it this way, no need to play with alpha or masks on the glass material itself. It’s confusing and may lead to unexpected results.

You can have a very simple material for the glass, and one for the label. So you can focus on each one, without having to manage an army of nodes.

I’ve played a bit with your project and made an alternative version with different textures (found with Google Images) and some adjustments on lighting and geometry. As you can see, there is gloss and bump. It’s far from perfect, but looks okay to me considering the time spent on it.

I suppose that is what you were looking for?

I can make the .C4D file available if needed.

Cheers!

Damien

Tobasco.jpg