Sign in to follow this  
Langley

UV setup as grid

Hi all

Ive been having a slight problem with texturing a roundel on the top curve of a bottle. When I isolate it and hide everything else then open up UV edit I cant seem to find a way to change the projection of my basically square grid pf polygons to be represented as a basic grid. My roundel texture is perfectly square. The only way Ive found is by taking all the points one by one of the UV and using the line up function then moving or rotating but this can take ages. Is there a quick method that anyone knows of that would allow me to project my polygons as an equal grid? Ive looked online in a few places but cant find how to do this as it seems like a pretty basic thing to be able to to do?

Thanks

Lang

Pls upload the file... we need to see the shape you are trying to map to be able to tell you how to do it correctly.

CBR

• Like 1

Hi Cerbera

Im attaching a file and screen shot just so you can see where Im coming from with this. I have got round the issue but it took quite a bit of point manipulation to get the uv mesh right which is why I hope there may be a quicker way of dealing with this type of thing.

Cheers

Lang

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 19.35.25.png

UV_issue.zip

I don't think you needed to UV map this at all, unless I am missing something...

Here's what it would have looked like with a standard flat projection, just aimed at vaguely the right place on the bottle...

1615860158_labelstandard.thumb.jpg.aa7a5e2b4be5aa54323d8cef8e4168b4.jpg

Or is that not right somehow ?

If you did want to UV it the fastest way is with U,J, the  UV Peeler.

CBR

• Like 1

Hi CBR

Yeah thats not quite right as flat projection tends to distort round curved edges a bit cause that logo will need to sit higher up so its more like up on the curve of the bottle.

I havent used UV peeler so will investigate. Does it work with C4D in a round about way? As for my original question is that a no go then? You see how the UV map looks like in flat projection (yellow grid squares) thats what Im after in UV mode but as said seems to be almost impossible to just take a grid of polygons and make the UV a square area so it fit the texture image perfectly.

Lang

No, I don't think your original plan will work, because if you make the UV tiles straight, then surely they are no longer obeying the proportions of the model, so will appear stretched when mapped back onto the curved model polys, if that makes sense...

The UV peel will give you a square map, but of the whole object, which is not what you want because then your image would cover all the bottle. but there is nothing to stop you isolating that polygroup from the UV peeled map, which should remain straight, if not exactly square, but would then be easy to scale up to the full canvas size, and make fully square using the proportional scale tool. You could move the other polys off to the side somewhere where they don't matter.

Still a bit confused as to exactly what you want - have you got a photo of what you're trying to make ?

CBR

On 5/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, Cerbera said:

If you did want to UV it the fastest way is with U,J, the  UV Peeler.

Whoa. That's a sweet tool! Had no idea it existed. Trying it out on @Langley's model, I did this in under 2 minutes after looking on the net how to use it.

1561883563_ScreenShot2019-05-06at1_33_38PM.thumb.png.e6769aee2bc02798b5f62edabd50d721.png

• Like 1