StageFive

3rd Party File Integrity Verification

So I've received some files to render in Octane. The person I got them from has all the textures in one folder and some alembic files in another. I was hired through a PR person, so I have not been in direct contact with the motion designer that created these files. Will C4d ask to load those if it can't find them, or do I need to verify that they've loaded. The biggest issue is that there are 6 C4d files to render. So I don't know which ones contain the alembic / textures and which ones don't (without manually going through each material and object to be sure). 

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question. I mainly ask because coming from an Adobe Illustrator print environment, I've seen too many people load and print a file when it's automatically replaced one of the fonts they didn't have with Myriad. So just trying to avoid rendering 6 to 8 hour video renders with something missing in them. 

Thanks!

Well, Alembic files don't support textures at all (but UVs are included); that's a format for animated mesh transfer, so they are going to import with no materials applied OR requested by Cinema. This is where you hope that your textures have the same name as your models so you know where to apply them ! I don't have much experience with alembic myself so I'm sure people who do will be along in due course to tell you how they handle the issue... maybe there's a script or something that will assign textures based on the naming...

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • I may have to ask the person that created them specifically which scene(s) they go with. It may just put me back half a day waiting for an answer. I could possibly work backwards and open the alembic files to see what they look like and then try to figure out what matches in any of the scene files.

Is there somewhere in C4d that shows all the images used in a scene? Modo has an image tab that shows that, which makes it easy to tell. 

I have no experience at all with alembic files, so I'm not even sure what to look for inside the scenes that I was provided? I've watched a few videos, and they mention something about a tag, but they never really focused on it in the browser. The three alembic files I was provided all have "Volume_Mesher" in the name and are numbered in a 0, 1 & 2 sequence.  Which may be a better clue to someone more adept in C4d. 

Thanks for all the help you've given!

6 hours ago, StageFive said:

Is there somewhere in C4d that shows all the images used in a scene

There is texture manager in window menu.

6 hours ago, StageFive said:

The three alembic files I was provided all have "Volume_Mesher" in the name and are numbered in a 0, 1 & 2 sequence

Looks like some volume that was baked to alembic. Once scene is loaded look in object manager for "a" icon object(s), those are Alembic files and they support sequences. Alembic files should be loaded automatically, and if not then there will be a red cross over name and in the attribute manager path. In "Path to Alembic file" you will be able to see the name of the Alembic file which has to be loaded.

• Like 1

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Hrvoje! I will check for that tag in the files when I get home from work. You've been a great help.

• Topic Author
  • The images were definitely broken in one of the files. C4d never asked for them and didn't tell me the links were broken. When I opened the texture viewer, it showed that it was still trying to look in the path for the person that originally set up the file. Very odd that it didn't warn me the links were broken. Thanks again for the tip though as it saved me a lot of time trying to figure out how to see which ones were missing.