Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

So how would i go about putting a logo on a Plane but i need the plane to have the logo embedded also indenting in like the picture attached. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

xp_cyc4d_efx_burning_liquid.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Accurate Titling

• Topic Author
  • This is what i have so far, i am using Extrude object and using the Fillet Cap - with Concave 

I get this, which is really close but *** is all those weird lines. Is my logo to complex? attached is the file and what i have now. 

Engrave.jpg

Logo Engraved Fail.c4d

One way would be to use Boole, but for clean geometry that would not be a solution. Other solutions are with Displacer or Volumes or, to model this with correct topology :)

Logo Engraved Fail_0001.c4d

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

Yep, we can't use a spline in an Extrude for this, for exactly the reasons you have discovered - you're getting loads of horrible intersection because that bevel cannot handle that custom shape, because the bevel needs to be different inner depths in different areas of the logo. So you just need to model this properly out of polygons for the best results. Fortunately it looks like the letters don't need to be connected to the indented surface, which means they don't need to share topology, which will make modelling this a lot easier. In that case we just need to make some basic topology that describes the bevelled indents.

CBR

If modelling this manually, this is the sort of topo you will need to start from, and the selected edges below are the ones you will subsequently Extrude (modelling command, NOT the Extrude object) inwards and down to make the bevelled outline...

755884969_Logocutouttopo.thumb.jpg.93fa9b07db765eee2b0c9684a9ca1a62.jpg

This is trickier than it sounds because you need a very much custom bevel here, where each set of edges bevels towards certain centers of the model. There will be a lot of moving the modelling axis about to achieve this. So while the cogwheel on the left is simple enough - those edges will bevel straight in toward the center of the cogwheel, but on the right that's quite a difficult bevel to design, because although it is circular for the most part, and the edges that surround that bit can move in towards ITS center, that isn't the case for the upper left edges of the 'b', which will need to be moved manually into the places you want them, whereas all the other parts can be done with uniform scaling. The challenging bit is where the straight section of the 'b' joins the circle, as really, your bevels here have to be very narrow so that there is no intersection, and then you have the problem of transitioning that to the invariably wider bevel surrounding the circular part of it. It might take a while to get that right.

Anyway, hope that gets you started in the right direction for that way of proceeding...

If you need a faster, lazier solution I suggest you look trying it with the Loft object, where you'd get a copy of your original spline, put them both under it, move the second one down, then start shrinking the various parts inwards until you have the bevels you need. Don't use caps in that though - you don't need them. Better to make editable when done and continue poly modelling from there to expand to the plane borders.

CBR

By the time we subdivide that mesh above (smooth off, but then scale every other edge outlining the circular forms out a tiny bit to maintain the circular form) and do our initial bevels (in this case via the bevel deformer), we get a pretty reasonable result so far...

1211351172_Logocutouttopo2.thumb.jpg.40f36f87b110d62cafe7cbe5032605f7.jpg

Next we can add the inner details. I'd do those separately because they require different bevelling. For these bits you could reasonably try extracting the G and smaller Cog splines from the whole and put those in Extrude Objects. If that still causes problems then poly modelling is again the superior recourse, and disc primitives with inner radii will be the way to start both those shapes.

Hope that helps

CBR

• Topic Author
  • @Hrvoje Your the best lol. Thanks =)! 

@Cerbera I am about to give this a try, i will let you know how its goes!

Thanks for being so detailed