Sign in to follow this  
StageFive

Octane - Typical Frame Render Time?

So I know that depending on the scene being rendered and the hardware, this will vary. I'm rendering a scene set up by someone else and the one I'm currently doing is taking 8 minutes per frame. There are about 250 frames in this sequence, so it's going to take a few days to render at this rate.

Latest r20 Studio

Updated Windows 10 to most current (I'm using Windows because something is wrong with CUDA on the Mac side)

All CUDA and Nvidia drivers are the most current

Octane 4 (Latest)

MacPro5,1

GTX 1080 Founders Edition 8Gb

1TB WD Caviar Black 7200 SATA III

32Gb RAM

Upgraded to Xeon X5690 12-Core (Dual 6-Core)

Scene file is 1920 x 1080.

I'm just wondering if this sounds about right for a scene, or does this sound like it's taking longer to render than it typically would? I'm new to GPU rendering. 

Thanks!

Simon

Octane Kernel Settings.JPG

Octane Render Settings.JPG

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the reply!

I didn't set any of the Octane parameters, they all came pre-set like they are from the motion artist. I haven't had much experience with Octane to know the ins and outs yet. I didn't want to screw up something that was set on purpose. I'll have a look at the adaptive sampling. Is there a reason someone would leave that turned off?

There are six different scenes (one of which is actually broken into two parts for some reason). Each one has different Octane settings on it, which I guess is to be expected in most cases.

Cheers,

Simon

Edit:

I also tried to post on the OTOY forum before posting the question here. It wouldn't let me create a new topic on there. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a new member there or if it's because I have a monthly subscription?

The only thing I know about monthly v annual is monthly gets fewer GPUs.  They may have sent the settings as is because they don't know any better. On the forum , use 'optimization' as a search term. The documentation also covers it well.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. I'll do some searches to see if I can find some other optimizations tips.

I think the sub has a limit of 2 GPU's, but it's not a problem for now, since I only have the one. If I could stick two GPU's in the older Mac Pro, I would. They just weren't built to handle more than one high end card. At least not without doing some power supply hacking. Within the next year or so I'm going to look in to a new system where I can start with two GPU's and add one or two more as time goes on. Most likely will move over to a full Windows machine unless Apple can impress me with whatever this new Mac Pro is suppose to be.

I have Cycles4d, which has me decently covered as a CPU/GPU renderer. Although I've been playing with the Redshift demo and it looks really nice, plus has really good reviews. My main issue is that my work machine is a 2015 27" 5k iMac. So no CUDA for that one. Which makes it where I can only use Octane/Redshift on my home computer. 

Have a nice night.