Sign in to follow this  
Andromeda

Diffuse, Glossiness, Spec Map Setup

Posted (edited)

Hi, I'm currently trying to import a model made by  a friend, however they use Redshift and 3Ds Max. I on the other hand am using Cinema4D, and have ran into an impasse. I've never used a model which was supplied with all these type of texture maps. I'm completely familiar with what they are and what they do. But I was wondering if there is a good (Free) Tutorial on how to make good use of the ones specifically for the reflectence, as right now I've yet to acquire the desired effect. 

Their render; 60027718_323814524923826_8061685461774499840_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=0b8f91e5862043d91b1bc9e5c3b0cd93&oe=5D2CE893

Vs right now; 

image.thumb.png.e2a3ae986f0c838dfbd22aa7e606b001.png

(I've only started on the saucer) 

The material structure: 

image.thumb.png.39665fd4ea6f19f8dbe44f96ee46ee19.png

I know how to make use of Height and Glossiness but have never used Diffuse maps, or separate reflection maps for things like roughness, glossiness and specular. I can see the potential but my little experience has yet to get me anywhere.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.  

Edited by Cerbera
Retitled for accuracy / later search use

There have been extensive other threads about this. Have you searched the site ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

There have been extensive other threads about this. Have you searched the site ?

CBR

I started with some videos I found on posts. However they were not what I was looking for (They mainly explained how to make solid colours) - I'm still browsing as we speak, since I get it - this is a very broad question. However I'm struggling on the terminology, without having the words, in my head it's hard to make a coherent search, right now I'm just throwing things at the search bar.  

But yes, am looking at the site. 

There's a lot more information here. This stuff doesn't just apply to substances, so should be of help...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • So far, using what I've read I get to this; image.thumb.png.28af9f97d578e0d4ba041b63e2edcca7.png

If you are using a reflectance based workflow, then the most important thing is what you are reflecting in the surfaces.

What lighting and sky objects do you have in the scene ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Currently just a physical sky and single light source. Which is why I don't understand why the diffuse is causing black at pretty much all angles. 

• Topic Author
  • Okay; I think my viewport was just bugged. Since the reason I posted was because I'm not amazing at reflections but I was convinced what I was doing should be doing something other than blacks with no specular.

image.thumb.png.589de889c196a4a719d6ac8114557a60.png

Just wondering if I can incorporate Fresnel in a way thats useful. 

First off let's establish if you are using a reflectance based workflow or not. I think you should be - this machine is almost entirely metal. OK, some of it's wooden, but that's just the performances ;)

If so, Fresnel is part of the reflectance channel, so if you are using that, use a GGX type layer, and Fresnel there should be set to Conductor, and something like Iron or Aluminium.

Then you can load the diffuse map into the layer colour map slot of the same channel, and an inverse of the glossiness map goes in roughness (and set roughness to 100%), and specular goes in the specular map slot of the same reflectance layer. Colour channel is not used at all in this workflow, so turn that off.

If that doesn't work, pls make us a simplified version of the file with just the disc and all the texture maps for it, upload to dropbox and link here so we can see what's going wrong where.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I inverted the glossiness using Filter, however I'm curious. Should the specular map go under specular strength or in the reflections color channel? 

Edit: Because having it there is yielding an even worse less practical result. 

• Topic Author
  • Also not sure why its red in the view port... As for the render.  I've changed various settings, but I'm not seeing the pattern. I read up on this; https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=19&postid=889500&univpostid=889500&pview=t just to see how someone achieved it with a different model.  And this; 

I understand what each does, but I'm not connecting the dots right. Also now when I add my base reflection (to get the specular reflections across the entire ships surface) it goes wrong, regardless of the blend modes, brightness etc. (I like huge specular reflections to be seen, similar to what JJ Abrams did. But I can't get it to look right along with the reflection maps)  

Edit: Turns out listening to the expert properly by reading what he says actually makes things work? Who'd of thought it! image.thumb.png.e2ce1444c247c72e9ba283a996e6f50a.png

So how do I reduce the noise? in the inner ring? Is that simply done by increasing sample count?