Sign in to follow this  
Medillus

Chinese Finger Trap Setup

I'd like to set up a chinese finger trap rig where if I pull the two opposing goals, the middle trap gets stretched and thin in the middle and its ends follow either goal. And, if the goals are pressed together, the trap bulges and squashes. I know I can use squash and stretch on the trap to get the general effect, but what I really want is for it to happen based on how i animate the goals.

I'm posting in newbies because i'm not even sure what this may fall under (maybe we could do this with modifiers? maybe it's better off in xpresso? or maybe some kind of dynamics...) -And I'm a lurker/novice poster  so if you tell me this belongs elsewhere i'll go ahead and repost there. 

Any thoughts on where to start with this one? I'm inexperienced in xpresso but have suspicions it may lead there.  

I think we need more details. Are we trying to make specifically THIS type of finger trap ?

And if so, are you determined to make it as it would be in the real world, with all those interleaving sections, or will any basic tube form do, and you'll be doing the diamond whatsits with textures ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Just like that, except a little more exaggerated. Meaning, when the ends are stretched, it gets noticeably thin in the middle, and the opposite when pressed together. I am making a synovial joint for a medical animation and they behave very similarly. The joint is part of a much larger rig. I need to put the 'wrapping' (the synovial joint/chinese finger trap situation) around the two ends of the joints. So no interweaving sections or diamond whatsits. This video is dim but does it pretty well 

And a picture of your basic synovial joint, with two ends of a bone and the pink 'wrapping'/capsule that i want to behave like the trap. Image result for synovial joint

Maybe another way to put it, is i'm looking for a way to make an object squash and stretch based on the movements of two parent objects.