Roei

UVW Issue - Get Rid of The Seam

Hi, 

it all started from this reference:
https://in.pinterest.com/pin/340373684335412589/

so I tried to do this in C4D. created a rectangle spline, rounded it, added extrude, and now I can add a texture and play with the UV offset in C4D. great.

but I now want to use in in Ae via UVW pass, and use re:map for it. issue is my UVW looks like this - notice the seam. 
image.thumb.png.1b616ecbc222066e5d01f202ea5d0aa5.png

so in Ae when applied to the text it looks like this:
image.thumb.png.842810435b1734dd8c562ed9d310e9b2.png

so this is obviously since it was a rectangle that was rounded into a capsule and this is the corner. how do I fix it? how do I get rid of the seam and get a smooth UVW wrap? I have the c4d lite version and the R20 Edu version. I would prefer to keep it procedural and lite.

Thanks

You do realise that by the very nature of the shape there must be a seam somewhere in the model ? You need to adjust the texture / UV so it flows evenly around the shape and make sure there isn't any text at the borders of the UV where the seam will be. I don't think this will be possible parametrically, unless maybe the new nodal materials can do it, and there are better people than me ( @Hrvojebeing one of them) to advise on that...

Although I will just check you have the spline interpolation set to uniform, which might just sort it out...

CBR

Thank you CBR. I wasn't aware there is always a seam in this type of shape. why is that? how would you move the seam? I know I can do that if I apply the texture in C4D, but I want to use the UVW in Ae and apply the texture there, so I want to control the in that stage.  say you wanted to create that type of paremetric template, where a text rolls around this type of shape through the UVW pass in Ae. is the way I built it not good for it? 

the interpolation is uniform BTW. 

1 hour ago, Roei said:

Thank you CBR. I wasn't aware there is always a seam in this type of shape. why is that?

Think about it like this. If you hold a strip of paper flat (2D) that is a contiguous surface until the surface ends. Now fold that piece of paper into a loop, which makes it the 3D form we're looking for. Is there any way to do that without the ends meeting somewhere ?

And that's why we need a seam in circular forms. UV's behave exactly the same way. The ends have gotta meet somewhere !

So it becomes a case of needing to either move that seam where the camera can't see it, or to disguise that seam within our texturing. In your case, simply not having text at the borders of the UV should do it. So in Pshop, arrange your text so that is equidistant, and that there is half the distance between the text at the top and bottom of your perfectly square texture map. I take it your map IS square, which it needs to be, for UV mapping purposes ?

I hardly use AE, so not the best person to advise there, but you can change the UVs in Cinema if you will only make that extrude editable...

CBR

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Think about it like this. If you hold a strip of paper flat (2D) that is a contiguous surface until the surface ends. Now fold that piece of paper into a loop, which makes it the 3D form we're looking for. Is there any way to do that without the ends meeting somewhere ? And that's why we need a seam in circular forms. UV's behave exactly the same way. The ends have gotta meet somewhere !

great explanation :) thank you. 

I take it your map IS square, which it needs to be, for UV mapping purposes ?

I actually only trying to create this in Ae:

https://in.pinterest.com/pin/340373684335412589/  
so it will be easily replaced and editable. the texture is simply a loose settings I can change later on if I want to tile or whatever. 

but you can change the UVs in Cinema if you will only make that extrude editable...

Yes, I want to change the UVs so it will look like this:

image.png

13 minutes ago, Roei said:

Yes, I want to change the UVs so it will look like this:

Yes but that's impossible as explained above. However, your UV will work just fine for the purposes of this exercise even it looks like the 'before' image, IF you just do what I've been advising you to, and fix the text so it isn't at the borders. If you do that it doesn't matter where the seam is.

CBR

Thanks. Ok so to get this straight I will need  to create texture in perfect square and equal distance from top and bottom?  And that other thing you mentioned: How do I change the UV if I make it editable. I was thinking I could move the seam up hidden from view?

1 hour ago, Roei said:

Ok so to get this straight I will need  to create texture in perfect square and equal distance from top and bottom?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Roei said:

How do I change the UV if I make it editable.

By selecting 1 edge (this will be the seam), and running a tool called the UV Peeler (U,J).

CBR

o.k I got it to work by making the spline editable and created a point where I want the seam and using  "set first point" making the first point where I want the seam. I also tried the UV Peeler and it did work, but was also looking for something that would work with C4D Lite. so I am good now :)

as for making it work with the seam where it is, and using a square texture with blank distance from both sides - that didn't work for me in Ae using Re:map but maybe we just lost context of each other there. 

so Thanks again CBR. as always you were most helpful and I appreciate your time. 

• Namaste 1

Well we're all learning stuff today :) I didn't know SFP on a spline in a sweep changed the UV origin either, so that cheers for that ! And glad you got it sorted...

CBR

• Like 1