So I'm switching from Mac to PC  ( given in on the Mac,  I want to run Octane or Redshift  ) and kinda getting my head around what I need to buy for the build, but when it comes to GPU's would it be better to buy one single RTX 2080 TI or two GTX 1080 TI cards for C4D?

And if one RTX 2080 TI  card would it be good to also get a second much cheaper GPU to run the monitor with and leave the heavy lifting to the 2080TI?

Thanks in advance.

Ideally the motherboard should have capacity for future expansion. 1 x 2080ti is currently a better future proofed investment than several 1080ti’s. If possible a dedicated GPU for monitor, but it’s not necessarily a good idea to buy a cheap card for this. 2070’s offer the best current balance of cost for performance. For rendering the fewer higher powered GPUs offer the lowest heat and power consumption costs compared to render output, but of course your build must include a PSU which is able to support the hardware power requirements.

There is a lot of hyperbole about the promise of RTX, very little of it is yet in use in stable production  builds, but it’s undeniable that the potential could be harnessed within the near future to dramatically outstrip the GTX models.

one thing to be aware of is that within a short space of time Nvidia tested Volta technology, for a short window the Titan V was the most powerful GPU and then the entire idea of Volta was seemingly scrapped for RTX cores. Literally within the space of a few months. And so be aware that within the product life cycle there will be a shift beyond RTX in the not too distant future. I would give it 5 years before the next major upgrade happens.

• Like 1

Great info thanks, my build is spec'd for 2 graphics cards with  a power supply and mother board to match. Would you suggest the 2070 over the 2080TI or did you mean the 2070 to run the monitor?

I do actually have a Vega 64 in an eGPU for the Mac, is it possible to run this for the monitor ( obviously in the PC and not in the  eGPU chassis ) and a Nvidia card for the heavy lifting or am I asking for trouble mixing the two?

Also how do you run 2 graphics cards on these machines, I keep reading that SLI is not the way to do this?

Sorry for the basic knowledge here., I've been on Apple machines for nearly 3 decades now.

Octane and Redshift both have announced they will use the RTX cores in a future build.  With Octane they say it gives a 2x speed increase over not using RTX cores.  This combined with the card normally being 50% faster than the 1080 ti means you will run at 3x the speed of a single 1080 ti when rendering with Octane.

• Like 2

Actually the claims for RTX are still somewhat unsubstantiated. In some situations it can potentially provide big increases but as yet there has been no confirmation as to what kind of scenes will benefit. Much like the bridge between cpu and GPU rendering (think: vray) there are many tools that GPU cannot yet support, yet its lighting fast at other things. Therefore the common wisdom is that RTX technology is still very much a work in progress and it may require the next gen of nvidia cards to make the pipeline more stable. Likewise Render engines are being cagey on how or when stable releases will be available. Seemingly a 2080ti is currently a good investment, but don’t rule out the possibility of a next gen family of cards coming out sooner rather than later. Even just a scant reading of the literature shows that from high end to low end users, the Rtx family is currently on borrowed time.