varval

Some Cloned Lights don´t Light Scene

Hi All,

Hope someone can help with this, I googled for a fix and found some advice, but doesn't work for this.

I´m trying to make a mall's interior render. I'm using lights in a cloner object, cloned on some of the building's ceiling polygons at each floor, to illuminate it.

The problem is that some of the cloned lights don't lit the scene.

I've already deactivated "render instances" as advised everywhere.

I've also tried using instances of the light inside the cloner, and changing the cloning mode from "iterate" to "blend", but I can't get it to work.

Please see attached renders of both right and left side of the mall´s corridor and a .c4d file.

Thanks in advance.

Shot_06_TakeTheStore_V25_LEFT.thumb.jpg.5200b00adb52d721680b42bbcf8caa2b.jpg

The left side (above) doesn't have as many lights as the right side (below), because it's not that visible in camera, but still, not all of them get lit, especially at the top floor...

Shot_06_TakeTheStore_V25_RIGHT.thumb.jpg.39d97f94b6ff040ade4c983d26a96854.jpg

Shot_06_TakeTheStore_C4Dcafe.c4d

Hiya

My poor old machine doesn't like that many lights but I think whats happening is that the geometry you have cloned your lights onto, the left side is also partly blocking the light. So if you make a copy of left side so you have one for actual geometry and one that you make invisible but clone the lights onto, then you can move the copy with the lights on just a little so they aren't blocked in any way by the geometry.

I think thats whats going on, also you have no falloff on your lights so they are blasting the floor away, that may be what your after.

The top grab below is as you have it and the bottom is cloned onto copy and moved a bit.

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 10.56.40.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 10.57.04.png

same thing but with falloff on the light

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 11.00.52.png

I second that. You wouldn't normally clone lights ONTO any geometry for fear of that geo intersecting with / blocking them. But you can do a vertical offset in the Transform tab of the cloners to fix this.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • What a stupid mistake...

I thought of that at the very beginning when I first saw the problem, but I guessed that none of the lights would lit then; so moved on in the wrong direction and then forgot.

Thanks so much, guys. I've been trying to solve this for a couple of days now. I even tried moving to an image-based lighting version, but the results were not that good looking.   

• Namaste 1

2 hours ago, varval said:

I thought of that at the very beginning when I first saw the problem, but I guessed that none of the lights would lit then; so moved on in the wrong direction and then forgot.

Not so stupid. I can entirely see why you'd think that, and ordinarily you'd be right, but when a light is cloned onto a surface that surface intersects it exactly in the middle, which confuses Cinema into guessing whether a light is visible or not, and surprisingly it doesn't guess the same every time !

Talking of which, a note I forgot to add last night - there are a few panels of your walling that have their normals inverted, which might show itself later down the line, so you might want to sort that out with old Align normals Command...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I will, thanks so much again