Sign in to follow this  
TreeW

Help with this curve?

I'm having trouble finding a good method for combining these two shapes into a single object for an SDS model.

3.thumb.png.e83d248df1aa3c597e70bcabd62cdac1.png

If both of the flat polygons intersected the hemisphere and were aligned to its Y axis I think I might be ok extruding flaps and stretching to match.

2.thumb.PNG.640ee9dda38acc72bffa151f3acbbee6.PNG

^ I don't think this kind of technique would work so well for the left side of the object.

The flat polygon has an irregular axis and forms a complex curve when it intersects the hemisphere.  I can't find any good methods to trace this kind of curve along the hemisphere and then extrude off into a flat plane.

Maybe there are some techniques I'm missing that would be good for this kind of thing?

WrappedCurve.c4d

Several ways to go about this.

1. You could brute-force model it, where you get the knife tool and manually cut round the sphere, then retopo the surrounding geo to match those cuts.

2.  This is one of those rare situations where a boole has a legitimate use in poly modelling workflow, though you are going to have spend a little time clearing up after it if you want your half decent topology back. If you go that way, tick all the boxes in the Boole Options, then make editable, and use ctrl+slide / weld to fix up the topo.

3. Complete retopology. Use the boole as above, but instead of fixing it up, build a new mesh over the top of it using HB modelling bundle Retopo setup (if you have it), and polygon pen / poly snapping if you don't. If you do have HBMB this one is actually preferable to both the above, as it would enable you to make it with the minimum polys you need, and you could eliminate the complex pole and triangles on the sphere at the same time.

This one I did via method 1.

691864650_Spheretoblocks.thumb.jpg.dd65316b00ff059bc352a4900b5d9727.jpg

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Ok thanks Cerbera, I'm trying out the first method you listed as well.

CurveQ1.thumb.PNG.dab470e9d8df3731a8798e1814957419.PNG

Your re-topology of the hemisphere looks really smooth.  Are you using the HBMB tools to do this?  This is the result I got when trying to do so manually.  

CurveQ2.thumb.PNG.cf42058db55b5407a7dc10ab5c74d31e.PNG

I've been been stuck on trying to get rid of that triangle in the bottom left corner of my mesh.

No I did it just with Cinema's default tools this time... but I was careful to only slide points on the sphere and  re-adjusted the curve manually every time I made a major change to the topo there,  so didn't lose its curvature at any point as I made my modifications...

CBR

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TreeW said:

I've been been stuck on trying to get rid of that triangle in the bottom left corner of my mesh.

Yeah, there's a bit of flow redirection to be done there...

Wasn't convinced I got this bit ideal myself on first attempt, but was in a hurrry, so didn't spend too much time on it.

Kinda difficult to explain the thought process behind where to cut, but maybe a closer look at what I did there will help...

1066624938_Spheretoblocks2.thumb.jpg.cac4891fa6e497b9fb7d5b4ce85108fb.jpg

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 20 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No I did it just with Cinema's default tools this time... but I was careful to only slide points on the sphere and  re-adjusted the curve manually every time I made a major change to the topo there,  so didn't lose its curvature at any point as I made my modifications...

CBR

Good to know that is how I'm going about it.

CurveQ3.PNG.c7ce8a5ffbb0f0714280931aa9257d84.PNG

This sneaky lil guy helps alot!  Thanks for all your help.

• Namaste 1