• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Colors in AE different than Cinema 4D?

In Cinema 4D I tracked some footage (image sequence). Then I added some objects (a plane which represent a part of a street from the footage, I texturized with the street's image), then added a lightning, a Voronoi Fracture of that plane, an explosion (with TurbulenceFD).

All good and dandy...I imported the footage in After Effects, then imported the C4D export files over it (OpenEXR files). I composed them and the imported OpenEXR files were set to Screen ads blending mode.

Both footages are set to 24 frames per second, sRGB color mode, 16 bits.

Yet, the footage exported from C4D looks different (brighter) than the original (from which the texture was taken and applied to the C4D objects). See the image attached.
Why it is different? What blend mode should I use (if that is the cause)? (I have tried basically all of them and none produces the results I want)

Do I have to color correct? (I mean, the difference is quite big)

What should I do?

Thanks.

AE-C4D.jpg

Exr files are rendered in Linear Colour. Is Linear Colour set up in your AE project?

You can check by going to the AE project settings, select the tick box that says Linearise Workspace, and enable sRRB from the drop down menu.

Phil Richards, www.fugidesign.co.uk

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, southpaw said:

Exr files are rendered in Linear Colour. Is Linear Colour set up in your AE project?

You can check by going to the AE project settings, select the tick box that says Linearise Workspace, and enable sRRB from the drop down menu.

Yes, I do have that checked in AE.

I dont do much animation but when i do stills i use a compositing tag on my floor and tick the compositing BG option. Once thats done the image stays exactly as the original.

Colour space will play a part too.

Deck