Seun

Clamp Constraint with Xpresso

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a way to mimic what the Clamp Constraint does with Xpresso. I've tried using the Constraint tag but it does a weird thing whenever I undo moving an object it bugs out and jumps to a different position, which makes it almost impossible to work with. The idea is to create a rope with a spline, convert the points to nulls with IK-Spline and animate the rope with the nulls but use clamp on the nulls to maintain the length of the rope. I've tried creating an IK Chain with the nulls but I lose a lot of control for deforming the rope. 

If anyone has another way of approaching this, please let me know!

Thanks!

Seun

Did you try using splinewrap? It is quite good for these kind of things. You simply splinewrap your rope to spline and use spline point as controls. You can limit and do a lot more within Splinewrap :)

• Like 1

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

29 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

Did you try using splinewrap? It is quite good for these kind of things. You simply splinewrap your rope to spline and use spline point as controls. You can limit and do a lot more within Splinewrap :)

I though about spline wrap but the issue with this particular animation is that the rope is attached to an object that's supposed to be a hard surface that can't bend/curve. The clamp constraint gave me what i needed, it's just buggy and really hard to iterate with so I though there might be an xpresso option that's more stable.

Have you considered this basic spline rig set up? You can add as many controllers as there are points and manually animate each to taste.

SplineRig.thumb.JPG.979671cf6f5543ae94f6f24671707d32.JPG

Of course you can always resort to spline dynamics with hair constraints on the end points and connectors to keep the rope length stable.

When you are saying clamp constraint I am not sure to which functionality you are referring too since it has multiple. It can clamp in various ways...

Is something like this what you are after?

Rope.c4d

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

This is a rough example of what I'm talking about. The clamp helps me maintain the length of the rope when I drag control cylinder.

RopeRough.c4d

6 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

Ok, so, why don't simply parent the whole setup to control cylinder by using splinewrap approach?

You mean put it all in a spline wrap? The issue is that I don't want the control cylinder to bend. It's supposed to appear stiff and not deform. I saw in xpresso that there was a clamp node but I can't for the life of me seem to get it to work... Your approach above works, only thing is that I'll have to guess the length of the rope as I animate the controls.

img.jpg

35 minutes ago, Seun said:

The issue is that I don't want the control cylinder to bend

What about if it has no vertical segments - then it can't bend even if spline-wrap tells it to ?

CBR

54 minutes ago, Seun said:

I saw in xpresso that there was a clamp node but I can't for the life of me seem to get it to work

It's not a physical constraint - the XPresso clamp just limits a number to stay between a max and a min value.