Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

I'm Trying to develop an interactive model for internet use. To strip this project to its basic principles. I want to create a QTVR with embedded links.

Simply put, if I had a model of a cube with names on each face. The user could rotate the cube to reveal each name, click on the name (This would take the user to another page) to revel the information.

Maybe the VR would need to be edited through another application to insert the links.

If anyone has gone down this road any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Cerbera
Fixed formatting / Moved to Correct Section

The way to go is do it as if you were doing it with a camera in the real world, i.e. set up for a single shot, rotate it around and shoot say every ten degrees until you have gone all the way around. With these renders you have what is called a single row vr, you stitch this together with an app like object2vr by garden gnome. If you want to look over the top of it you need to rotate the camera up and shoot more rows, so at 10 egress yo have 36 images per row. The app spits out the spinning file with the appropriate web code etc.

Im sure there are other apps and it docent have to be 10 degrees but that works quite well and seems smooth, 20 degrees is a bit steppy

Deck

Thanks Deck for your speedy reply. I never thought of that solution. I could only think of the old Macromedia Director as an approach or Flash. 

I will certainly give your solution a go.

Cheers Deck.

I'm a former Director/Flash guy myself...

My thoughts?

QTVR is dead.

If anyone wants to do more in this realm....

The future of Interactive web 3d is going to be tied to these technologies:

glTF

webGL

WebVR

USDZ 

If you want baked 3d you can use HTML5/javascript approaches, but these are the future.

Also...if you want a lazier but pricier approach you can embed SketchFab in your web pages.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is 100% relevant to a 3D workflow, but for my multirotor panoramas I use MS ICE (free) or Hugin (also free) to stitch single pics into VR composites, and then Marzipano (also free !) to turn that into an interactive Web thing...

My UAV parks itself in the sky, and rotates its camera around a single fixed point, and only takes 18 photos per panorama, but still ends up with pretty decent results, and both those programs can cope with any amount of source images... all you would have to do is rotate your camera around, tripod-stylee in the same way, and render at each stop.

I'd say this method was better than QTVR in pretty much every conceivable way. And in perfectly alignable 3D-land you wouldn't be plagued by the problems inherent in trying to do this from a free-floating platform battling 60 kph winds at the top of some mad hill ! :) 

http://aerocam.org.uk/panoramas/st-peters-terwick-77-ft/app-files/

http://aerocam.org.uk/panoramas/Harting-down-w-sussex-350-ft-nov-2018/app-files/

CBR

• Like 1

Thanks @Icecaveman for the info. I need to put together a 360-pano-VR workflow at work and will be investigating the tech. And those are really cool @Cerbera , thanks for sharing!

• Namaste 1