• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
StageFive

No Warning Given for Broken Links/Paths!

I'm new to C4d and I'm not getting any type of warning pop up when the path for textures and other linked files (alembic) are broken. I received several files to render, and all of the file paths were of course broken because the paths were pointing to a folder on the guy's machine that made these. That's understandable, but WHY didn't C4d tell me these files weren't loading? Is this standard operating function for C4d? Every other graphics / 3d app I've ever used has given me a warning when links are broken / missing. I shouldn't have to sift through the whole object browser tree to manually find any paths that are broken. The textures were easy enough to find and replace, but I still think there should be some type of warning prompt of what is missing in a file. 

I've now rendered a movie that took a day and half that didn't turn out correct. 

Thanks,

Simon

This should only happen if "Show Texture Errors" in the rendersettigns has been disabled. It is on by default.

To relink textures use the texture manager.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the feedback srek!,

I'll have to check that setting, but I didn't change any of the defaults on my end. Would that sort of setting be saved in a file someone sends? The only way I could see that that would have been disabled is if the guy that set the file up did that and it came with the file.

I did use the texture manager to fix the textures, but it's really odd to me that the only clue I have that the alembic files were missing is an extremely tiny red mark on the alembic icon in the object browser. Luckily for me there were only three, but what about when a file might have a lot of these broken file link paths? Especially if a bunch of them might be buried in closed groups. Again, I find it extremely odd there isn't a prompt for missing items like this. The first thing that happens in Adobe Illustrator when I open a file someone else made, is to warn me of missing fonts, missing eps links, missing linked images, etc. 

The setting is stored within the scene. If you get scenes from a third party make sure to ask them to use "Save scene with assets" before transfering the resulting folder to you. This makes sure all external dependencies are resolved and the files are copied to a folder local to the scene file.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks again for the input. I'll keep that in mind in the future. I wasn't in direct contact with the person that created the files. I was hired to render these files by someone else at a production company. They did provided all the support files (images, alembic), but the paths to all of them were still registering the local hard drive path from file creators machine. I'll just have to pay closer attention these issues in the future and make sure no links are broken. 

::):