Sign in to follow this  
deck

Lipstick Tip Topo

Hi Cafe

Im guessing this is a simple thing for all you topomasters out there, i think i could get this done but thought i would ask for tips and best methods before I start the hair pulling.

This is just a test project, so its not this shape specifically Im after but more the principle of chopping this wedge off of this cone. Ive set this one up with a boole to get an idea of the shape, I did clean one up to an extent but Im wondering if I should start with more rotations.

Part of me says to make the cross section and then model off that but maintaining the cylinder then becomes tricky.

Then there is the second shape with two flat sides and a more rectangular top, now that looks a bit tricky to me.

All tips tricks and advice most welcome

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 15.31.01.png

Liptip test 03.c4d

There are several approaches to this, but all of them use basically the same technique; Define key outlines, and bridge between them.

1. The Loft Method

I'd do this with 2 or 3 splines in a loft initially, linear / none interpolation (so you are entirely in control of resulting topology).

First upper spline is the shape and angle of the disc wedge bit, 3rd one is circular and horizontal, and the second one  better controls the transition between the 2.

Caps should be ngons so you can retopo properly later.

2. Poly Loop method

I like this one more, simply because I like working with polys. In that case you'd get a cylinder (16 segs should be fine) and line it up where the lipstick first goes circular. Then a copy of that would be rotated, positioned and angled to match the top wedge section, then you'd simply combine the objects and Stitch n Sew between the loops after which you could place additional loops in between to further define curvature.

Or you could go the tall cylinder in an FFD approach to get the basic form, then boole off the top, and then either tidy up after that boole, or retopologize on top of it.

CBR

This sort of thing is the poly method...

Lipstick.thumb.jpg.272946d6aa3b82e7977c4826ea0baa58.jpg

1. Primary loops established

2. SnS together, then delete intermediate loops / add small 90 degree  rim extrude at top

3. Patch inside that to get the top / add 2 new loops between top and bottom with Preserve Curvature on.

4. Continue on to lower part etc, then control loops and SDS.

CBR

• Like 3

Hi CBR

Thats nice, i though about a loft but not a simple one like that. I saw a completed one on turbo squid that looked like your final one and I wondered how the guy had rotated the loops, doh !

Of course with the top and bottom established they just slot into place, perfect. I see you went 16 rotations too.

I will have a crack at that, any thoughts on that second squarer shape.

Many thanks

Deck

Wicked, that went really well. started with loft which just seems easier to rotate and position. Then the loops and scaling from one side.

I wanna make one really pointy at the top and I think I need to start again and move some of he points nearer to the top point if that makes sense.

No hair pulling at all, great fun when it works well.

Deck

added a bit of weighting to the left one

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 17.24.28.png

• Like 1

Well done for finding a situation where adding weighting doesn't introduce surface artefacts ! :) Nice job I'd say...

The square one, in theory, should work on largely the same principal - you have enough edges in the circle to be redeployed into the square and to have adequate support on the corners, which should get them sharp enough. If it doesn't let me know and we'll think again...

CBR

Hi CBR

I will try that square one tomorrow, and not quite happy with the slice here, i thought it was forward of centre but not so sure now.

Your method makes it really easy to redo it, don't think I would have arrived there myself, brain still isn't making those intuitive leaps yet.

Thanks again

Deck

You're welcome. Now I look again though I think we need a slightly adapted strategy for the square one, because I think I can see some additional angled 'wings' coming down from the main square bit. If that is the case, then maybe we should get our top bit, pull down and shape the wings, inner extrude to redirect the edge flow round that whole section, then bridge between the wings, add 3 final control loops (2 of which spread out and run all the way down to become part of the circular bit), and only then bridge to a circular form (now 24 segs) at the base...

1126825061_Lipstick2.thumb.jpg.7bf74f3f5da17eaf06a28c278d096262.jpg

You may find any weighting you apply more problematic here, but it's fairly tight even without it, and this choice of control loop placement gives us maximum tightness at the corners without affecting the circular forms below, which I would guess is the main challenge with this model...

CBR

• Like 1

A lovely job again CBR.

Im always amazed at how complex some apparently simple shapes can be in 3d. Considering in the real world if that was a candle or something you could do it with 3 well placed knife cuts.

Thats a bit more of a challenge, will post results later if I manage to get there, but you've laid it out well so shouldn't be a problem

Many thanks

Deck

• Namaste 1

2 hours ago, deck said:

Im always amazed at how complex some apparently simple shapes can be in 3d.

I know what you mean. But that's what we get when we design a system that can build virtually any form imaginable out of tiny little squares, and we haven't got time to wrangle them all :)

2 hours ago, deck said:

Considering in the real world if that was a candle or something you could do it with 3 well placed knife cuts.

Yeah, but now try and make 2 of of those cuts exactly symmetrical with your candle and your knife ? Couldn't be done. And there'd be wax everywhere ;)

CBR

• Haha 1

Here we go, my final attempt. I didn't realise initially that you had done the inner extrude on all 3 flaps together and that in turn made me wonder about the 3 edge loops cos I could only see 2, but once I worked out the first part then the 3 loops made sense.

I forgot to put the loops in on the panels so mine is a bit looser around there. It all got a bit lumpy in the transition to cylinder and Ive pushed a few points out of place, probably had a better one earlier, but Ive got the principle of it.

After the talk of carving candles I wondered if it would work with sculpt, but that wasn't like making 3 cuts at all.

Thanks again

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 19.34.41.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 19.35.19.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 19.41.24.png

• Like 1