Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

Youtube tutorial request pit

Hi folks :)

As many of you already know, Cafe has a Youtube channel with large video collection of tutorials. Please post your tutorial requests into this topic, all ideas are welcome. To increase the likelihood of your proposition being accepted and turned into tutorial, try to be as precise as possible and look for subjects that would benefit wide variety of user. This of course doesn't mean you shouldn't suggest something that is based on your individual needs.

Thanks!

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

I would love to see small projects as you did with Ice cream, that was really good since it shows usage of many things. Thanks for all the work you do :)

I would like to see a series of best practice workflow guides on modelling small objects, with attention paid to solving ngons. I still get stuck on the simplest of flows and I never know where I should be solving things, or the best place to start modelling.

It would be great to have a series of videos where you model each of the small parts of something, like a robot arm or something like that, and then since you have perfect workflow, people watching the videos will pick things up that are not the 'purpose' of the video, just little workflow tips and solutions to modelling problems. 

scara-robotic-ARM-Project.thumb.jpg.36d1acdd5d93464b79bb08aa49746c89.jpg

For instance this arm - I can think of a couple of ways of making the claw, but which one is best and wont have me solving ngon lines for four hours in the middle of the night? Do I Boole them out and then try and fix them? Do I start with three circle polygons and connect them? That base object, should I just intersect some different objects and hope for the best or is there a way of using SDS for this? Should I use the volume builder?

I know this is above and beyond the scope of the topic, but if you dont ask you dont get!

Also, the videos needn't be the high polish of the VP days, I think I would learn a lot from just a screen recording of an expert user making such objects, even with any mistakes left in.

Thanks

I would like to see more of TD ones you make already, such as ship on water or rolling carpet example, those are all really great!

Can you make a Jack in the box video? :O)

7179-v4z7oL._SY679_.jpg

• Topic Author
  • @Batz

There is a new video on youtube that you might like since it shows a setup quite similar to what you are after :)

On 5/21/2019 at 1:29 PM, Freemorpheme said:

I would like to see a series of best practice workflow guides on modelling small objects, with attention paid to solving ngons. I still get stuck on the simplest of flows and I never know where I should be solving things, or the best place to start modelling.

It would be great to have a series of videos where you model each of the small parts of something, like a robot arm or something like that, and then since you have perfect workflow, people watching the videos will pick things up that are not the 'purpose' of the video, just little workflow tips and solutions to modelling problems. 

scara-robotic-ARM-Project.thumb.jpg.36d1acdd5d93464b79bb08aa49746c89.jpg

For instance this arm - I can think of a couple of ways of making the claw, but which one is best and wont have me solving ngon lines for four hours in the middle of the night? Do I Boole them out and then try and fix them? Do I start with three circle polygons and connect them? That base object, should I just intersect some different objects and hope for the best or is there a way of using SDS for this? Should I use the volume builder?

I know this is above and beyond the scope of the topic, but if you dont ask you dont get!

Also, the videos needn't be the high polish of the VP days, I think I would learn a lot from just a screen recording of an expert user making such objects, even with any mistakes left in.

Thanks

Hey @Freemorpheme for your questions I believe the best answer is Motionworks' Make It Look Great 11 if you haven't already come across this then I suggest you should. Toby Pitman explains the core principles of workflow planning, problem solving, topology etc – really essential. There's loads of youtubers that can show you how to model something, such as Arrimus 3D, Nikolaus Shautz (Nikomedia) and so on, but the MILG11 series actually explains how to do it.

I'd love to see a video tutorial on animating moving grass that gets cut by a lawn mower, bonus if it's done with Octane. Nothing exists along this vein as far as I can see. 

• Topic Author
  • @BLSmith

Check out our latest Youtube video ;)

I'm trying to create this ink-in-water effect without using plugins: 

I tried using volume builder and fields but it's hard creating the repeating folds.

Awesome! Thanks so much @Hrvoje!!! You rock!!!!!! :D

On 6/20/2019 at 12:14 PM, Frokito said:

I'm trying to create this ink-in-water effect without using plugins: 

I tried using volume builder and fields but it's hard creating the repeating folds.

I guess it entirely depends on what quality you need, but I don't think you can get anywhere near this without plugins.

4 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

I guess it entirely depends on what quality you need, but I don't think you can get anywhere near this without plugins.

Yeah I think so too. Something similar can be created using xpolsia in x-particles