Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

How to not lose textures everytime

Hey guys, 

I've been moving computers and trying to merge my C4D work into the new computer and everything keeps getting lost. Been working on C4D for around 6 months and i still haven't figured out the proper and cleanest way to work with textures. Everytime i copy paste an object with texture from one document to the other, it loses its associated images and it goes missing, it's been all over the place.

What is the best procedure to work with textures and materials in a way that saves all the textures of the document in One Folder and anytime i open it on a different computer it works and doesn't lose everything? Of course, i am saving every scene "Save Project with Assets" but still this doesn't seem to be working, all the files keep getting lost and almost everyday i have to link up the textures which is draining.

And if i want to copy a textured object from one document to the other on C4D how can i do that and maintain its textures? Is there a way or i have to save it individually then Merge with Objects onto layers?

Thanks

You have three basic options.

1. Always work with absolute paths. This will either only work on that specific computer, or you have to use a NAS/Fileserver for all external assets and use network paths.

2. Only use filenames. In this case the assets have to be in one of the possible search paths. By default those are the project folder and the tex folder within the project folder. In the prefs you can define any number of additonal paths that should be searched for assets. The drawback here is that you either have to use unique names for each and every assets within the search paths, or you have to make sure that the search order of paths is taken into account (prefs paths come after project paths).

3. Put the assets into the content browser databases and reference from there instead as own files.

• Like 2

If you can somehow try and keep the files in one folder, I have found the best option is to use the 'texture manager '.  You can link up every texture in one go, by holding shift down and selecting the lot in the list of textures.  Under  Standard/Window/texture Manager.

1 hour ago, joolsd said:

You can link up every texture in one go, by holding shift down and selecting the lot in the list of textures.

Even that is not necessary. Just loading 1 texture will fix them all, if they are in the same place...

CBR