Tesa Demiur

Is the CPU or the GPU used to render F

Hi,

Since I don’t use third party render engines as Vray, Octane, Arnold, Redshift and so on to render out my design I was wondering what component C4D uses to render my frames when I choose either Standard or Physical renderer, in terms of CPU and GPU. I’m asking this because I’ve tried to render on two different computers with two different CPUs and GPUs, one with a more powerful graphic card than the other but the cpu slightly  identical. To my shock not much difference in rendering time between them. Why is that? Thank you.

C4D Standard and Physical renderers are all CPU based.  More CPU cores and speed will help render times.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • So, no GPU involvement. That’s a really sad moment in my life right now. I just got a computer with an RTX 2070 installed. I guess it's useless without 3rd party renderer. 

I wouldn't say useless. Your viewport is no doubt zipping along ! But yes, that is not used for rendering unless you are using a TPR.

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Good for playing games on it.

• Topic Author
  • ProRender engine that is incorporated in C4D makes use of the full power of the GPU. 

8 hours ago, Tesa Demiur said:

ProRender engine that is incorporated in C4D makes use of the full power of the GPU. 

Yes it does. How's that working out for you, just out of interest ?

CBR