Sign in to follow this  
adamjm

Modelling Cutouts

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

I'm trying to model different cuts this time.. you can see where I want the slot at the top of the bag... but when I put my model into hypernurbs it goes all over the place.. Am i building this the wrong way? any advice would be great.. do i need hyper nurbs on it?

thanks 

bag 2.c4d

Edited by Cerbera
Capitals in Titles

You are missing these primary control loops.

1451631542_missingloops.thumb.jpg.bea4f877557f7d53c27314ad14098c04.jpg

But the loops you have in the other direction are already ruining your surface curvature and producing that harsh line that runs all the way across the model there.

This should tell you that is a mistake to try and cut that indent into this level of geometry.  You need to apply at least 2 or 3 levels of subdivision before there is enough polygon density to adequately establish curvature to allow that cut to be deformation-free. Before doing this you should weld the 2 loops that are defining the cutout now (into 1), then remove all the control loops that are there now, AND the ones I have advised you to add, and you should do them again once you have the subdivision nailed into the mesh. You could refine and improve that process by adding some evenly spaced vertical loops to make your pre-subD'd polygons largely square, which is what subdivision wants...

There are other ways to fix this that primarily depend on you modelling this flat, and using a bend deformer in a group with L3 SDS to achieve the final curve - that would be a sort of semi- parametric way of doing what I am describing above...

CBR

This is what that surface should look more like when it is subdivided enough to remove the slot polys. Now we have established curvature, so further subdivision will look great, with a minimum of control loops needed, and no hard lines disrupting stuff...

1512766821_CartonFix.thumb.jpg.227fdb66d30e7ee44cb08fdb697e0bca.jpg

CBR

• Topic Author
  • thanks CBR that's great... I'll give that a go :)

Just a further note: because you have already L2 subdivision to get to this, the new Sub-D Object you place it under only needs Level 1, giving you L3 in total.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • cool thanks :-)