Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

Organize Division Points

Hey guys,

I drew this shape from basic rectangles, circles, etc, and Extruded it and made a single object (Quadrangle) on the main part

1600278186_question1.thumb.png.dce6b551628fdf75ef03959bbe537bb9.png

However, the subdivisions don't look neat and organized as the one here 

Untitled2.thumb.png.f83adbc39c6fc5ffc4f47efae7a7998d.png

How can i organize them so that theyre all the same shape?

No, that's cause you made the shape from a spline, which as I recall, I warned you not to do yesterday ! Trouble is, if you're not listening to advice, it seems like a waste of time giving you more !

CBR

• Namaste 1

• Topic Author
  • It kind of sucks that i always have to apologize, i'm working project by project and completely alone, this wasn't included in my education and it occupies 20% of my day as a designer, please have some empathy as I am really trying my best here.

I am watching this tutorial  and i want to do the same but for the text i shared above. 

In the video, the guy uses a "Circle", i did the same and got great results.

Now i want to expand this knowledge and create a word instead of just one circle to make it look like a balloon. So I added multiple shapes in the same logic as the tutorial.

l7ob.thumb.png.717940cf858fec57fdf659287e7a71f2.png

I can see the potential of the result but due to the fact that the divisions in the front are mixed up, they don't look as balloons after using "Dress-o-matic"

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Splines can be used in great ways (loft, extrudes, sweeps etc) but you really need to know what you are doing to anticipate the resulting topology. Try as much as you can to stick to primitives and poly modeling, especially if you are not an advanced user. 

• Like 1

Look how many edges the circle one has, and then how many edges your square text has. There's the difference. Your 'square text' splines need more intermediate points, and then you can drop the size of the regular grid quads in the Caps section of the Extrude to roughly match the points along the splines, which will give you a result somewhat like your circle above, which might be passable (though not exactly great either) for making balloon text. However, I am going to question the suitability of this text / font / shape for balloon text in the first place - that technique is much more suited to big, round forms, not thin angular text characters. You don't say what the client wants exactly, but I would suggest looking at other options for this, including modelling it with nice rounded edges in the first place, or using something like a smoothing deformer to give nicer rounded results than a cloth sim will. But, assuming you are absolutely sure that balloon text is the way forward,  what would be the better way to go here ?

Let's look at the shape you have, and see what poly primitives would be a good starting point. Experience tells me that in this case we need a simple plane object for the square bits, and a simple disc for the round bits, the former of which we will give enough segments out of the gate that we can simply delete polys we don't need to get the result above but with perfect quads everywhere.

1. Get a reference image into Cinema so you can see what you're aiming for, then line up a plane over it like so...

170323659_balloontextprep1.thumb.jpg.795962955784a85c1c4ad0ea652a241a.jpg

Note I have chosen 42 x 15 segments there, which lines up with the reference, and will give us a character 3 polys wide or deep.

2. Now make that editable, Poly Mode, and select the polys we want to keep, U,I to invert that section, and delete the ones we want to throw away, giving us this...

833870478_balloontextprep3.thumb.jpg.bff360f772679e560cab9f0b311b5bcd.jpg

3. Now we can add an 8 segment disc object to the scene, give it an inner radius to start that bit off...

885891334_balloontextprep2.thumb.jpg.273335ba63b113555ddeb22ac6ba1b14.jpg

4. Now we can make that editable, Close poly Hole to fill in the middle bit, then make 2 cuts with the Line Cut Tool as above to get us perfect quads. Then you can optionally COaD that to the plane to get a single object. So now we have the perfect kind of polygons for any subsequent modelling operations.

5. But we need more polys than this for balloon text, so now we can go to Poly Mode, select all of them, and r-click / find Subdivide Command, click the options cog next to it, set smooth subdivision, and level 2, which will get us this...

1477711514_balloontextprep4.thumb.jpg.c35819c74ab1a945761ba94f3aacf15e.jpg

Now we have smooth rounded edges to our text (better for ballooning), and no triangles anywhere, and utterly even poly distribution.

6. Now we can extrude that (with caps) via the Extrude Tool in Poly mode (not the object).

Your tutorial might tell you that you only need 1 extrusion segment, but if it does that is not necessarily trustworthy advice. You want more like 2-4 for nice balloon results... you'd only use 1 segment here if you wanted horribly sharp seams.

1563898574_balloontextprep5.thumb.jpg.11fbba802cab858d6e0617ce2d3d9e4e.jpg

Here I have selected the polys I will be defining as cloth seams in the next step... I did that by using Phong Break Selection to grab the front and back faces all at once, then inverted that selection to get the rims.

7. Once the cloth tag is applied, and those polys are defined as the seam, then you can run the dresser and see what happens. I recommend starting with a seam value of 1 cm.

If it goes mental that just means your seam distance was wrong, and you can undo, try another value, and do the dresser again until it's more like what you want. When happy, delete the cloth tag, and you're pretty much done.

1562688657_balloontextprep6.thumb.jpg.c485b7218066282f31065de511bf6afe.jpg

I've put this under a Subdivision Surface Object now, (but only L1), and for all our effort it looks... OK. But now we're back to the original question - was this model suitable for ballooning, or was there a nicer way ? Let's see...

If you just didn't apply the cloth dresser (or indeed a cloth tag at all !) you could add a smoothing deformer under our high poly model to round out the text in a different, and arguably nicer way, like so...

287854277_7smoothingdeformer.thumb.jpg.e46ada81743b694ad794fa5cf9739bb8.jpg

You could also have stopped at the low poly version we started with, and tried soft body dynamics with some inflation, which would have given another type of rounding again. But I rather think the preferable solution was the one we gave you in your first thread about this the other day...

Anyway, hope that helps

CBR

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • thanks guys!

I was capable of drawing the shape with primitives like so

333.thumb.png.43befe23139744297f797dcc92a1e458.png

However, when i Subdivided the selected Poly it still didn't treat the object like one shape. The corners are still rounding in unwanted places and i've tried to Connect Objects + Delete as well, making it one but still the results look like the below

444.thumb.png.7369295219fa71df121c9056f804e5af.png

Is this because the polygons need perfecting? what am i missing here?

Connect and Delete only makes the objects one mesh - it doesn't also connect all the points - you have to do that either via optimize, welding, or stitch'n'sew.

But far better to have made all that character out of 1 mesh like I did so that these steps would be not needed...

Also the topology of your disc is highly suspect at the moment - those are not even squares are they ?

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • No, i didn't focus on the disc yet, i want to get the main shape right then focus on the disc..