Sign in to follow this  
pilF

AI and Animation

Any animators out there fearing for their job yet. I mean the idea and interpretation of an animation is still key but ai is filling up the valley of human competence a bit faster then i expected ( image by Hans Moravec - see also Life 3.0 by Max Tegmark). I just found this: Few-shot adversarial learning of realistic neural talking head models.  Add 9 shots of a head in different poses to a (trained) neural network and it generates a talking head in 3d space. 

https://youtu.be/p1b5aiTrGzY

landscape-of-human-competence.thumb.jpg.75c85665463ec388b9980101b53ad5d1.jpg

Seeing the paintings moving at the end was really cool.

Like some youtube watchers commented: Amazing and ...terrifying!

Whether you are a radiologist, warehouse worker, coder, journalist, musician, animator...you have to have an eye-ball on what is going on. We are going to need a Universal Basic Income in the world.

What other examples have you all seen where AI may have replaced a task that we would create in C4D or AE?

I’m having a hard time imagining what could be possible.

I recently had frequent discussions with coworkers about the impact. A lot of cg jobs will move back to customers because there will be dead easy tools to create pictures in your browser or with relatively cheap software. I have no clue where our profession will be in 10 years. At least rendertimes will disappear.

• Topic Author
  • Not too long ago, publishing print was something done by professionals with dedicated tools and hardware. Then word and pdf and laserprinters came along making it simple for people to produce their own print. Not even half as good as the professional desktop publisher would have constructed it, but it felt good enough  for most users. Fastforward 10 years and you will have a hard time making a living as a freelance desktop publisher.

Now imagine what could happen to professional animators if animating a 3d character becomes simple thanks to machine learning ans some limited ai. Not even half as good as a professional made animation, but good enough for most users. You can already see this standard taking shape with all the 2d movies where someone randomly wiggles a head or an tube and sells it as a character animation. For a lot of companies this feels good enough.  And we are all emotion abiding humanist so if it feels right it is right. There are no holy standards for good animation.

Feeling a bit more pressure yet?

• Topic Author
  • Ask the mailman:

I refuse to live in fear. Bring it on! Even if that spells the end of humanity. If we go extinct, who will be around to care? Just our immortal AI creations, I guess. I hope they can learn from our mistakes and not destroy themselves. But then if they do, who cares? Maybe the meat humans the AI learn to create in order to do the menial labor that robots no longer want to do. Yeah..maybe that. :wackywink:

• Topic Author
  • That's the spirit Vizn, we should not live in fear. But we should not be blind to developments either. It might be a good idea to plan ahead a bit and ask ourselves what we want life 3.0 to be like. Animators, riggers, game devs and modellers too. Not tomorrow but in 10 or 20 years. Which is of course a reference to a very interesting book on this matter titled: Life 3.0 by Max Tegmark.

I thought this was interesting in that is was done by one person in a very short period of time.  Given this there has to be way more advanced things out there being kept hush hush..