Sign in to follow this  
Nestor Diaz

Beach chair soft body opening stuck

Trying to achieve this affect. I modeled the chair, i applied the soft body to connectors.  It is animated and springs with a rigid body. 

I just don't understand how i attach the cloth to the poles, fold with the beach chair and make them stay with the chair through all those rotations and opening, etc

I also attached what i have so far. Hope you can help =)

beach chair.c4d

• Topic Author
  • If someone told me opening a beach chair would be the hardest thing you will ever do in your life, i would of told them they are crazy. 

So i figured out how to make the Binded rigg and the softbody to work together. 
    Just got to find out how to make the cloth stick to the beach chair. Any help would be greatly appreciated =P

Working on a solution for you :D

• Topic Author
  • 23 minutes ago, natevplas said:

Working on a solution for you :D

<33 Thanks brother!

Posted (edited)

Here's what I've got.  There's some User Data called "Fold" on the Main Legs null.  I've got it animated roughly to give you an idea of how it works.

I used Cloth with Belt tags for this- might have been possible with Soft Bodies too, but this is the way I knew how to do it.  I have a Cloth Collider on the Sphere, then a Spring which stops the sphere from falling since Cloth can't actually do that.  The two systems are separate and can't really influence each other.

The way your chair is designed, I wasn't quite sure how the back legs would fold, since they can't reach throughout the fold.  If you animate it quickly, though, no one will notice.

beach chair open v2.c4d

Edited by natevplas
    expanded the timeline

• Topic Author
  • Thanks so much man! I really learned a lot from just dissecting the scene! 

This makes sense as the scene looks like they used clothed.

Never in a million years would i have known you can use a spring rofl, super clever @natevplas

Also love the targets, now i know how powerful targets can be. Was trying to figure out those legs for a while lol. 

Do you think he used a rigid body to make the chair fall down so real? When i use it, the chair falls apart, even when i tick off self collision with itself. 

You're welcome!  The spring idea is just stolen from someone else, haha.

One thing I wasn't able to solve is the priority issue with the cloth being delayed by a frame.  Anyone know how to fix that?

For the dynamics, I was able to get it working by making a cube that roughly fit the dimensions of the chair and using that as a collision object.

beach chair open v3.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Thank you so much! Everytime i think i know how Dynamics work they always mess with my head lol. 

So i am bit confused i see that you put that shape inside the Dynamics tag.

What's the explanation on why that would hold it together. 

• Topic Author
  • Check it out V4 @natevplas
    Almost done, just need a bit of help cleaning up when the jar drops onto the chair cloth. 
    If i turn on the dynamics close to when the chair finally opens, it buggs out and shoots the jar. 

I left it how it is now, but i woud like to have it open right after the chair opens. 

File somehow became really big don't know why. But heres my dropbox. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5c5047aqpxtzok/beach chair open v4.c4d?dl=0

17 hours ago, Nestor Diaz said:

Thank you so much! Everytime i think i know how Dynamics work they always mess with my head lol. 

So i am bit confused i see that you put that shape inside the Dynamics tag.

What's the explanation on why that would hold it together. 

Well, the key here is having Inherit Tag set to None and Individual Elements set to Off.  This means the Rigid Body tag is only going to look at the geometry of the object it's on, which in this case is a Null.  Nulls don't have any geometry, so if you set the Shape to Automatic, for example, the chair would just fall through the floor because it has no geo to collide with anything.

image.png.645cc38d17693ba586e577c72fe2b4e8.png

I hadn't thought of this before, but if you put everything into a Connect object and apply the tag to it instead of the null, it works to just set the Shape to Automatic (but leave the other settings off). 

image.thumb.png.97c018564b037a38b7fd5df22a1d900c.png

11 hours ago, Nestor Diaz said:

Check it out V4 @natevplas
    Almost done, just need a bit of help cleaning up when the jar drops onto the chair cloth. 
    If i turn on the dynamics close to when the chair finally opens, it buggs out and shoots the jar. 

I left it how it is now, but i woud like to have it open right after the chair opens. 

File somehow became really big don't know why. But heres my dropbox. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5c5047aqpxtzok/beach chair open v4.c4d?dl=0

I checked out your file- also not sure why it's so large.  I think you should bake out the dynamics on the chair first.  Then make a low poly collider similar to the one I already made except with some sides to it so your jar won't intersect the sides of the chair.  Place it exactly where the chair lands and add a Collider tag.  Make sure your Shape is set to Static Mesh.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks man, now i get what your doing. Starting to understand how to manipulate the Dynamics. 
    However, i am getting some weird activity right when its droping and staying it course, it hits a invisible wall before finally dropping. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zivxnndclwrm05j/2019-06-01_00-31-07.mov?dl=0

Attached is the video, i video recorded it. Also v5 is available in the share up there if you want to recreate it.