I need to make a flock of butterflies for a future project. I made a close up version which has wings I manually flap but for the flocks I will need a simple model and thought I would use the vibration tag  on each wing. This works well for one wing but when I use the same page with the same settings, they flap out of sync..... what am I missing? My plan is to use particles or even the c4d particles to do the flocks. I swear I solved this years ago.....

Ok, I had too much fun with this!  I'm not sure exactly how to go from this to a whole swarm, but it's a start.  I used Symmetry to get both wings doing the same thing.  Then for fun I added a Wind which was linked with Xpresso to the rotation of the wing so it would lift it up when the wing was down, and turn off when the wing was up.  Finally an Align to Spline tag gives it a path to follow.  Ideally it could choose its own path randomly more like a particle as well as aim itself tangentially in the direction of travel, but I didn't get that far.

Butterfly flap v1.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, natevplas said:

Ok, I had too much fun with this!  I'm not sure exactly how to go from this to a whole swarm, but it's a start.  I used Symmetry to get both wings doing the same thing.  Then for fun I added a Wind which was linked with Xpresso to the rotation of the wing so it would lift it up when the wing was down, and turn off when the wing was up.  Finally an Align to Spline tag gives it a path to follow.  Ideally it could choose its own path randomly more like a particle as well as aim itself tangentially in the direction of travel, but I didn't get that far.

Butterfly flap v1.c4d 200.99 kB · 4 downloads

That is exactly the solution I needed! I can't thank you enough. The symmetry object will do the trick. I think if I use x particles and avoid collisions and maybe the flocking function I can get what I need. This project is going to be very different for me, its very personal and I want to get ahead of any problems before I start animation. 

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, digitvisions said:

Hi, i never did a swarm animation, but as natevplas said Symmetry will work better, in this clip i key framed the animationshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3968ymnjt0

Nice work! I have done a few with hand animating the wings but this time I need 100s, maybe 1000s of butterflies! 

• Topic Author
  • Quick feedback.... it works wonderfully!  Nest step is the work out the swarming part. I am going to do several versions with an alpha channel so I can add them in post of have them as a texture on a plane for more distant groups of butterflies to cut down on render time and avoid use x particles caches. 

• Like 1

Glad this was helpful!  Please keep us updated on your progress!

• Topic Author
  • On 5/30/2019 at 3:44 PM, natevplas said:

Glad this was helpful!  Please keep us updated on your progress!

So here is an early test using the butterfly. I have done a couple tests with flocks of them but they haven't worked out yet. I think with x particles I should make maybe 4 butterflies with wings flapping at different rates so they aren't all flapping in unison. I have to design the characters for this project, something I am not great at and constanty struggle with. 

• Like 1