Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Motion tracking in C4D or AE?

You have a scene in which you want to add a 3D object (or more).

There are two solutions as far as I see to motion track and add that object.

One is described in the video below in which you track camera in After Effects, export that track as C4D file, open in Cinema 4D and add the object there (then go back into AE and finish the composition).

Motion tracking in After Effects

Then you have the other solution in the video below which is to track in Cinema 4D, then export and finish the composition in After Effects.

Motion tracking in Cinema 4D

Which way is better? Or what do you recommend in different situations?

Thank you.

If you have c4d studio and after effects, I would recommend doing your tracking in cinema and using the cineware feature in AE to import your tracking information and data from cinema into AE. Here is a really great video demonstrating tracking in c4d: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/siggraph_2018_rewind/siggraph_2018_rewind_josh_johnson_r20_features_and_vfx_workflows

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, briankoko said:

If you have c4d studio and after effects, I would recommend doing your tracking in cinema and using the cineware feature in AE to import your tracking information and data from cinema into AE. Here is a really great video demonstrating tracking in c4d: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/siggraph_2018_rewind/siggraph_2018_rewind_josh_johnson_r20_features_and_vfx_workflows

But why is better than way then tracking in AE and import in C4D?

For me it is a personal preference but I find the c4d tracker has way more options for fine tuning your track, seeing what tracks are problematic etc. Also setting up a ground plane for your object to sit on and cast shadows onto seems easier and more accurate in cinema. But I have to admit I haven't used the camera tracker in AE all that much. 

I would definitely track in C4D.  like @briankoko is mentioning the tool-set is more featured and setting up objects is way easier in a full 3D environment.  Also you don't have to worry about weird AE caching when you make adjustments.  The C4D tracker is more capable of solving a variety of shots including more complex scenes.  It also has more information to analyze your track points and is easier/faster if you need to adjust kinks out of your camera path...