Sign in to follow this  
Danny TCF

2D Graphics in 3D project

Can anyone please tell me how to implement these 2D graphics in this 3D isometric animation?

They look like they are animated in After Effects, but they are implemented very well and precise measured...

Is this a post- production feature or is it clever done in Cinema 4D.

Once I was working on a project with 2D characters in a 3D environment which I projected on a transparent plane, but that isn't ideal because there were some limitations, though these vfx doesn't need any shadows/ environment lightning etc.

Thanks!

20190601_112305.jpg

20190601_112242.jpg

20190601_112324.jpg

The text here could be done in Cinema, and wouldn't necessarily have to involve text on a transparent plane, but I would bet it is quicker, easier and more easily controllable to do it in AFX, presuming you are familiar with its typography and lines toolsets. I would say that the ONLY real advantage to doing it in Cinema is that matching the isometric perspective would be done for you, but that isn't hard in Post either and doing it there is a lot more flexible in terms of later changes without having to re-render the graphics...

But I am not an AFX expert myself, so will leave it to the many that are to tell you how to do that...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

The text here could be done in Cinema, and wouldn't necessarily have to involve text on a transparent plane, but I would bet it is quicker, easier and more easily controllable to do it in AFX, presuming you are familiar with its typography and lines toolsets. I would say that the ONLY real advantage to doing it in Cinema is that matching the isometric perspective would be done for you, but that isn't hard in Post either and doing it there is a lot more flexible in terms of later changes without having to re-render the graphics...

But I am not an AFX expert myself, so will leave it to the many that are to tell you how to do that...

CBR

Thanks CBR,

Yeah, I think that's the right workflow aswell, I will put a few tests on it!

Thanks

• Topic Author
  • Update:

Tried to save te file and import to AE, hoping to extract the camera and use it in AE, but it didn't worked out that well, after extracting the camera and placing a new layer in AE in a 3d envorinment, it just was out of world axis and unmatchable with the scene.

I tried 2 versions of the camera from Cinema 4D: 

- Preset Isometric Camera

- Parallel Camera with isometric camera settings:  P: 136 H:-37

Maybe the world Axis are not good? Have not found the solution yet... If someone had any ideas or tricks... don't hesitate.

Kind regards,

Danny

After you brought the camera into AE did you open the layer and zero out the coordinates?

• Topic Author
  • @Lonchaney Yes I did, but it was still out of screen and orientation:compHate:

Did you try baking all the keyframes on your camera?

• Topic Author
  • @Lonchaney Thanks for your response, well, I don't have any yet, so maybe for later... I think the problem is with recognizing where the world axis is after I set the camera to Parallel, now when I set a layer to a 3D environment in AE it will look like this (see attachement).... Sorry still a newbie, had to post this in 'new users & beginners'

Isometric grass_v3 (00025) error.png

As Cerbera mentioned above you will have more control and flexibility if you add the text in post, especially if (when) the client makes changes. That being said, there is no reason why you can't accomplish this in C4D if you want. This should get you started.

Isometric.jpg

Isometric.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, Lonchaney said:

As Cerbera mentioned above you will have more control and flexibility if you add the text in post, especially if (when) the client makes changes. That being said, there is no reason why you can't accomplish this in C4D if you want. This should get you started.

Isometric.jpg

Isometric.c4d 447.14 kB · 0 downloads

Wow thanks! This will help me out a lot! I will explore more with post-production and will update the topic when I find the solution for it! Thanks again

No problem.