VanderAGSN

Cinema 4D : Normal Map Baking Issue

Hi everyone. There is a mesh shown in the picture below. It will be in the future a high-poly model with small details in the style of sci-fi. However, so far I decided to check on a regular cube with smoothed edges

0uQGQgy.png

There is also a cube which will be baked normal

aD7KYDz.png

In the preview, I already saw that the baking is something wrong

iLCXKZo.png

And Yes... It's not. The cube is flat and the normals for some reason "surround"

Kr3iRyG.png

Here's how it looks with the same texture

EwHz9TJ.png

Here's the UV from the baked cube

KFKmzoG.png

In the method specified "Tangent", and I really need it because the basic normals are in tangent version. I tried a lot of things that did not solve anything

So I decided to write here, because as I know - this problem in cinema 4d is a long time, and whether there are any analogues baking normals / AO / elevation maps and other things in Cinema 4d without third-party programs. Thanks!

I'd advise not to use the integrated normal baker in C4D unless you absolutely need to. There's an amazing free tool for that and many other maps. It's called xNormal.

xNormal bakes stuff like Normals, AO, Cavity, Thickness, Curvature and many many more. It's a little bit confusing to use at first but once you got the gist of it there's pretty much no better baking tool imho.

Or you can use the Subtance Painter or Substance Designer bakers, if you have those tools.

• Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

I'd advise not to use the integrated normal baker in C4D unless you absolutely need to. There's an amazing free tool for that and many other maps. It's called xNormal.

xNormal bakes stuff like Normals, AO, Cavity, Thickness, Curvature and many many more. It's a little bit confusing to use at first but once you got the gist of it there's pretty much no better baking tool imho.

Or you can use the Subtance Painter or Substance Designer bakers, if you have those tools.

Thanks for your advice. I really hope that the built-in bake in cinema 4d will be much better in future releases. 

• Like 1