Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is there a quick and free way to get .max files into c4d? I have a client who is sending files I can not read despite giving them the list of those I can. Of course there is a tight deadline as well! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god, I know the pain...

 

I used a website to do this a couple of years ago in a passion project but this is very, very sketchy when it comes to data protection. I wouldn't do it in any commercial project, but if you still want to do it I'm sure you can find sites that do this.

 

Unfortunately other than that I don't think there's many ways to do this as *.max files are native 3DS Max files and in contrast to *.3ds those are NOT available via SDK for other applications.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've actually got a special category for this sort of thing ! I will move it there now for you...

If there is tight deadline, I'd stop looking for free stuff, and just pay the $30 to these guys. Then build that cost into your fee (this is justified if you sent them a list of formats you could accept, and considering that Max can output Obj which you could read in Cinema for example !) and you've still got it for next time...

 

CBR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

    Oh god, I know the pain...

     

    I used a website to do this a couple of years ago in a passion project but this is very, very sketchy when it comes to data protection. I wouldn't do it in any commercial project, but if you still want to do it I'm sure you can find sites that do this.

     

    Unfortunately other than that I don't think there's many ways to do this as *.max files are native 3DS Max files and in contrast to *.3ds those are NOT available via SDK for other applications.

     

    3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

    If there is tight deadline, I'd stop looking for free stuff, and just pay the $30 to these guys ! Then build that cost into your fee !

     

    CBR

    That's the plugin I was looking at, this is a new and not well financed project so I will have to see what they are willing to pay for. They also sent me a .igs file which c4d opens but in a manner that is quite abstract looking!   LOL

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Yes I've had to wrangle some IGS nonsense recently as well - 1 file took 2 hours to open ! :) Fortunately my job was to build new decent topology over the top of the old model so I could take screenies and then never have to load it again ! :) but it's so annoying when they give you max files, when that program CAN export a number of formats you could read !

     

    CBR

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

    Yes I've had to wrangle some IGS nonsense recently as well - 1 file took 2 hours to open ! :) Fortunately my job was to build new decent topology over the top of the old model so I could take screenies and then never have to load it again ! :)

    Does that plugin work on Mac? I t didn't say so on the webpage and the examples to be  on Windows.  The gigs file I got took about 5 minutes to open so not too bad, but what a mess it was! 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, CApruzzese said:

    Does that plugin work on Mac?

    Don't know. I'd ask them before you buy, and that way you can test their support as well :) They do say 24 hour money back guarantee to test it...

     

    CBR

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • Just now, Cerbera said:

    Don't know. I'd ask them before you buy, and that way you can test their support as well :) They do say 24 hour money back guarantee to test it...

     

    CBR

    I have a message to them now, they will send me an email with the answer sooner than later I hope. Plus I have the client on the case to make one in a format I can deal with. FBX, obj and even lightwave files I have had good luck with in the past. This is coming from auto cad, I can't imagine it can't export to  obj at least! 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

    ABOUT US:

    C4D Cafe is the largest CINEMA 4D community. We provide facilities for discussion, showcasing and learning our favorite software :) Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and much more. If you need to find solution to your problem or otherwise ask for help, Cafe is the right place.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...