Sign in to follow this  
Adrien

New Mac pro

Naw it's not going to be drawing even close to that much power. Don't forget that PCs almost never run at full usage, not even when rendering because you're either maxing out the CPU or the GPU depending on what engine you use.

And even if you (theoretically) used up 100% of both CPU and GPU the power supply still has some headroom.

Correct. You could have a 3,000 Watt PSU and that wouldn't mean much as far as the actual electricity usage. That's available power...max power.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest guys, Im not too clever with electronics. Maybe save those pennies after all, it would be a big jump from my 2009 mac pro :)

I think David Rudnick on Twitter had really interesting thoughts on the subject recently, here's a quote :

Apple's Mac Pro is a no-expense spared hypercar of a desktop for the 1000 people who work on digital effects for Netflix, or Marvel Movies. For the rest of us, Apple has spent the last decade downgrading us onto machines optimized for watching Netflix, or Marvel Movies.

i bet this machine could have been at least 1 k cheaper if they would have  made a version with lesser gpu slots and ram slots. not everyone needs the possibility for 8 gpus and 1.5tb of ram (which is ridiculous, btw). 

but i'm pretty confident it is a beast of a machine, and the only thing that made me consider switching to pc was because of gpu rendering. but my guess was that it can't be that much longer until redshift and octane are ported to metal, so i stuck with my high sierra + egpu setup, which works fine, but isn't a way to go for me long term.

so except for the price i'm pretty happy with the MP from what i've seen, once it's out i will probably look into reviews and pricing, take a deep breath and think hard about getting one :D

Dual Xeons might have a ton of cores for rendering, but I've always thought of them as server chips. IIRC some of C4D's stuff is single threaded, and in this comparison of the top Xeon vs my little i7-4770K, my chip has better single thread performance.

In fact, my old i7 is overclocked by 20% so the difference is even greater.

Haha! After seeing some of the estimates for what the system would cost, I have abandoned all interest. I thought this would be more on par with past iterations of Mac Pros, which were pricy, but not orders of magnitude above a PC. @Bolos's quote is perfect. If you really need the absolute best money can buy, you can't find a more streamlined option. Anything below that is just glitzy, overpriced facade for your illusions of grandeur.

So the interesting thing here is that OpenGL has been depreciated in the latest MacOS so MAXON are converting the viewport to metal2 and that’s a big deal. 

I suspect they will will change the pc side too perhaps to vulkan which is the successor to OpenGL.  

The specs are insane and probably to much for a lot of people and the ram alone would be 18k to max out (1.5tb!) 

The big big unknown is the price of the upgrade GPUs - vega2 which you can get as 1 GPU, 2GPU or 4GPU with the stupidly fast 84gb interlink.  My guess is 1k, 2.5k and 5k

I am sure there will be sweet spot with a 18 core, 2xgpu and 128gb ram, 1 tb ssd for about $9k still a lot but it is a work tool - I always use the comparison with a tradesman that needs a truck and tools and that could easily hit 20k with a second hand truck or 49 with a new one. 

I do wonder if they will release a plain old “Mac” to fit in between pro and mini now at about 3k using i9s or whatever with 4 pcie etc - the iMac Pro is great and all but lots of people don’t need the screen and want some expand ability. 

I agree with what everyone else here has said. I do wish they came out with a more mid-tier model. Maybe eventually they will release one that hits that typical $2k to $3k mark? Although they don't want to cannibalize the sales on their iMac and MBP models. So that may never happen.

It would be nice to have all the extra slots and ports for future expansion, but it would be overkill for me in the near future. I used a one of those G4 blue and grey Power Mac towers for almost 15 years at my day job though. Mactracker labels the base price on that as $1600. So would have worked out to about $10 a month over it's life span. That was a damn good machine. Ran OS9 all the way through 10.5 I think. That is one good thing I'll say about most of the Apple towers is that they do typically have a long life span.