Bill Borez

Octane and Redshift OSX versions.

Yea I've been thinking about jumping from Mac to PC but was holding out on this release to see if I should make the switch. Unfortunately, I am still undecided. The prices are high and though it comes with great Xeon server grade processors an i9 would be more than suitable and much more affordable. The lack of NVIDIA support is also a huge downside. Though this could, in theory, be fixed in an updated OS release it is worrisome as NVIDIA and CUDA are industry standards. That said, its enticing knowing Octane, and Redshift will be supported with AMD GPUs. Until I know what the final prices are with the upgraded CPUs I'm still buying time to see if it's worthwhile. Also the display crazy out of range. I know they are trying to compete with reference monitors but a 5k studio monitor would have been nice at 1/3 of the cost.  All said looks promising but still too many unknowns for me.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Pixelatednoise said:

Yea I've been thinking about jumping from Mac to PC but was holding out on this release to see if I should make the switch. Unfortunately, I am still undecided. The prices are high and though it comes with great Xeon server grade processors an i9 would be more than suitable and much more affordable. The lack of NVIDIA support is also a huge downside. Though this could, in theory, be fixed in an updated OS release it is worrisome as NVIDIA and CUDA are industry standards. That said, its enticing knowing Octane, and Redshift will be supported with AMD GPUs. Until I know what the final prices are with the upgraded CPUs I'm still buying time to see if it's worthwhile. Also the display crazy out of range. I know they are trying to compete with reference monitors but a 5k studio monitor would have been nice at 1/3 of the cost.  All said looks promising but still too many unknowns for me.

Yeah. I hear that.  I'm going to wait until I see how well redshift and octane perform under Metal to be honest, I have a MBP with a Vega 64 eGpu but I'm still thinking about switching to PC.

No way I'm forking out for the new Mac pro, the prices are insane.

5K for a monitor + 1k for a Pro Stand? :D Apple is a joke of a company. I really dont understand why would people pay that amount of money for something so expensive when they can buy the same thing for much less, only downside is that you dont have Apple logo on it. But hey, maybe I am wrong, I just know I would never ever gave that money to them.

• Like 2

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

I agree with you @Igor  - that is absolutely mental money, and they ain't having any of mine either ! Overpriced cheese grater :)

CBR

• Like 1

Eeeem, ok it seems this is what you get with the new Mac Pro

image.png

But I dont understand how is this possible. If thats the case, then we all should just jump to Mac Pro. :compHate:

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

1 hour ago, Igor said:

But I dont understand how is this possible.

Me neither. Aren't half those apps subscription only ? 

CBR