Sign in to follow this  
Eric Brown

Polygon Shader Problem

• Topic Author
  • Thanks!

• Topic Author
  • Hey maybe you can help me out again. So I went ahead and got the new cinema 4d r20 and followed your instructions because I really want to learn how to learn to do this stuff on my own, however I ran into another problem, not sure if it has to do with my settings in cinema 4d or maybe its  a weird glitch...My problem is that when I add a polygon to a Subdivision Surface object i get extra edges and points. I did some trial and error, opened your project file that you sent me originally and I do not see the same problem, however, when I merge my project with yours then even your original subdivided polygon gets these same extra edges and lines.

Ive been hacking away trying to figure out what it is and I see that if I uncheck SDS cage in the filters menu then they disappear, but I do want to point out that when I go back to your original project that SDS cage is not unchecked and I see no difference in the lines, it is only in my project or when I merge my project with yours. Is this a cause for concern? I have uploaded the merged project file and your original as well as a screenshot of the each, please take a look and tell me what this is all about?

Heart Camera 2 Fix Problem.c4d Heart Camera 2 Fix(1).c4d

• Topic Author
  • Merged File Problem.png

Original Pretty Lines.png

In the filter menu, make sure SDS Cage is turned off. Then, in the menu next door to that, the viewport options, make sure Isoline Editing is turned on.

Does that fix stuff for you  ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yup awesome thanks! Not as pretty as yours but its smooth. Now I just gotta figure out the lights!

Screenshot (4).png

• Topic Author
  • actually if you could help me out with that that would be great...

• Topic Author
  • This is what Ive come up with, not sure of another way? I'm getting some weird bump, I'm guessing due to ngons. I just created more loop cuts and beveled the points to make circles.

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

Well, adding those lights like that has single-handedly undone all the good work we did earlier, and as you have spotted, ruined the surfaces...

Actually we're not ready to cut in the lights yet - we have to do the center indent first while we are this polygon level. The topology for that shouldn't run from end to end of the model, which will disrupt the curvature all the way along the bottom edge, but should instead be redirected AROUND the cutout via Inner Extrude like in the pic below.

853135674_HeartCamInnerSection.thumb.jpg.a4508a986021f4ef85090494f99ea6ec.jpg

I have split the surface of  the indent off so that it becomes its own separate object, which will be very helpful later for texturing. I think you will eventually have to build the camera behind it as well, as it is not fully opaque. Likewise, the lights probably are LEDs behind a plastic screen.

Next we do not have enough subdivision to cut in the light holes yet, so let's fix that by setting the SDS object to L1 (editor and renderer) then hitting C to make it editable, before deleting half the models again, and restoring symmetry. NOW we have enough polys to be able to cut the lights in with minimal disturbance to the surrounding areas, using the very minimum amount of edges we need to do that, which is 8, like so...

731360287_HeartCamLightTopo.thumb.jpg.5913d9cc7e8beadfb422e85ab3de0e93.jpg

To make that I selected the 4 polys outside the light hole, inner extruded once, then used the slide tool to move the corner points in and the remaining 4 out to get the circle. Then I inner Extruded again to get the control loop outside that.

So that is what the topo for one light should like before you split off the selected polys (above) as the cover, and extrude the original surface back to make the light inner section. When you have done all 3, it should look something like this under a new L2 SDS object... note no SDS distortion, and all our curves remain undisturbed.

1664757500_HeartCamLightHoles.thumb.jpg.a83da2dd5b50dcd879e9a2bb6450c520.jpg

You will want to extrude in much further than I did if you are making the LEDS that sit under the surface.

Does that give you enough to work with so you know how to proceed ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yup doing it now, I split the screen with the main object like you said and made it a child of the main polygon. I also hid the remaining polygons still connected to the object with a selection tag (seemed like a bad idea to delete them if I can just hide them.

My question is do I only subdivide the original poly and not the screen that I have split?

• Topic Author
  • Screenshot (8).png

22 minutes ago, Eric Brown said:

I also hid the remaining polygons still connected to the object with a selection tag (seemed like a bad idea to delete them if I can just hide them.

You can't hide them from render so you do need to eventually delete them, unless they would help you in the later modelling of the section behind the glass...

Likewise, when reapplying symmetry you need to delete one side of both models rather than hiding polys as doing the latter would break some functions of the symmetry object and lead to very confusing situations where you didn't know which side of anything was real !

22 minutes ago, Eric Brown said:

My question is do I only subdivide the original poly and not the screen that I have split?

I would subdivide them both, if for no other reason than consistency. Once we have subdivided this is all going under another L2 SDS, so we should keep the poly density underneath that uniform, otherwise we'd need L3 for the lower poly version and L2 for the rest of it.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • ok, when you say set the SDS object to L1...what does L1 mean?