Sign in to follow this  
Eric Brown

Polygon Shader Problem

3 minutes ago, Eric Brown said:

ok, when you say set the SDS object to L1...what does L1 mean?

Level 1. In the SDS settings. It'll be set to L2 by default. Note: It's the RENDER setting here that sticks when you make it editable., so don't just set it in the Editor field.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • You're a genius...

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Well, adding those lights like that has single-handedly undone all the good work we did earlier, and as you have spotted, ruined the surfaces...

Actually we're not ready to cut in the lights yet - we have to do the center indent first while we are this polygon level. The topology for that shouldn't run from end to end of the model, which will disrupt the curvature all the way along the bottom edge, but should instead be redirected AROUND the cutout via Inner Extrude like in the pic below.

853135674_HeartCamInnerSection.thumb.jpg.a4508a986021f4ef85090494f99ea6ec.jpg

I have split the surface of  the indent off so that it becomes its own separate object, which will be very helpful later for texturing. I think you will eventually have to build the camera behind it as well, as it is not fully opaque. Likewise, the lights probably are LEDs behind a plastic screen.

Next we do not have enough subdivision to cut in the light holes yet, so let's fix that by setting the SDS object to L1 (editor and renderer) then hitting C to make it editable, before deleting half the models again, and restoring symmetry. NOW we have enough polys to be able to cut the lights in with minimal disturbance to the surrounding areas, using the very minimum amount of edges we need to do that, which is 8, like so...

731360287_HeartCamLightTopo.thumb.jpg.5913d9cc7e8beadfb422e85ab3de0e93.jpg

To make that I selected the 4 polys outside the light hole, inner extruded once, then used the slide tool to move the corner points in and the remaining 4 out to get the circle. Then I inner Extruded again to get the control loop outside that.

So that is what the topo for one light should like before you split off the selected polys (above) as the cover, and extrude the original surface back to make the light inner section. When you have done all 3, it should look something like this under a new L2 SDS object... note no SDS distortion, and all our curves remain undisturbed.

5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

1664757500_HeartCamLightHoles.thumb.jpg.a83da2dd5b50dcd879e9a2bb6450c520.jpg

You will want to extrude in much further than I did if you are making the LEDS that sit under the surface.

Does that give you enough to work with so you know how to proceed ?

Why would I want to extrude them much further? Could I just extrude inner extrude again from what I see here and then extrude the cirlces out to make a bulb like shape?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Sorry still getting used to this site, I replied directly above.

"

Why would I want to extrude them much further in? Could I just extrude inner extrude again to make another control loop from what I see here and then extrude the circle out to make a bulb like shape?

CBR

•  

10 minutes ago, Eric Brown said:

Why would I want to extrude them much further in? Could I just extrude inner extrude again to make another control loop from what I see here and then extrude the circle out to make a bulb like shape?

They are separate objects in real life, and should be in your model too, so they should be deep recesses with actual length LED bulbs within them. Texturing is much easier if everything that is separate is built as such, and if you want light to behave properly in the render then separate objects for those lights is really the bare minimum you should do...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • You're awesome thanks!

Screenshot (10).png

• Topic Author
  • Should I just make spheres and place them in the holes for the lights?

28 minutes ago, Eric Brown said:

Should I just make spheres and place them in the holes for the lights?

I'd do half capsules myself, with a little rim at the base, like real LEDS are, but spheres will do in a pinch ;)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Took your advice and making the LEDs out of half capsules, I noticed some of the holes i made for the lights arent perfect circles, ive been using the slide and move tools to move the points around to make them look more symmetrical when I add the SDS, is there another way of fixing the symmetry of these damned things?

Screenshot (11).png

49 minutes ago, Eric Brown said:

ive been using the slide and move tools to move the points around to make them look more symmetrical when I add the SDS, is there another way of fixing the symmetry of these damned things?

You can use the Points to Circle script to get perfect circles - search that up on Google. I did mine with the HB modelling bundle, which also has that, but that isn't free.

Or you can line up an 8 sided n-side primitive as a guide, turn on spline snap and move the points that way.

If you have used the move tool whilst adjusting those points you have probably broken the curvature - this should be a slide-only procedure so that you don't ever depart from the established curve...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I did use the move tool a bit but I left mesh checking on, Non planar polygons set to 15 degree threshold, nothing is highlighted red as long as I dont drop the threshold, it looks fine when rendering  but I have the pre adjusted model saved if you think I should just go back and do it the other way.

19 minutes ago, Eric Brown said:

I did use the move tool a bit but I left mesh checking on, Non planar polygons set to 15 degree threshold, nothing is highlighted red as long as I dont drop the threshold, it looks fine when rendering  but I have the pre adjusted model saved if you think I should just go back and do it the other way.

It's not non-planar polys I worry about there - SDS will be fixing those. I worry about SDS surface deformation around those holes, so turn off lines mode and check very carefully for any weird pinching or shading... if you don't see any by all means carry on as you are...

CBR