BLSmith

Octane: Downloaded materials look bad.

Hi all. Below are two engines, on the left is an engine rendered in standard renderer that was created by a third party production company (I have access to file), and on the right is my version using Octane. I really dislike my version, and I frankly don't think I'm smart enough to ever properly learn materials in Cinema4D. 

iEXFmM8.png

So, in an attempt to make my life less stressful, I subscribed to Poliigon.com, downloaded a few dozen relevant textures and imported them into Cinema4D. Even those look terrible. Here's a short video I made showing this process:

TLDW: This is what my material is supposed to look like, and ultimately what it does look like:

bswQefa.png

This metal material looks like a sweatshirt. 

My Two Possible Approaches to Fixing This Problem:

Method one

Method two: I want to figure out how to properly make the Poliigon textures look like they do on the website.

Any tips on how to address ether these two potential solutions above would be very appreciated. If it helps, I am willing to pay you for some proper direct training on my model, DM me your price/hours.

Moved to correct section (3rd party Renderers)

CBR

• Namaste 1

do you have something for the reflections to be reflecting?

add in a sky object with an HDR texture on it and see what happens

I'd also say you need the right thing to reflect to make it look right.

Looks like the texture scale may be a bit too large too. I've had issues before with textures being out of real world scale with the object I've applied them to. 

• Topic Author
  • Thank you guys for your comments. Here's my new render with an HDRI:

72OhMqq.png

Much nicer. It's increased my render time by a factor of 24x from 30s to 12 minutes per-frame. For my 60s+ sequences, this will make it a lot more difficult, but I suppose thats the price we pay for quality. Thanks guys. 

You should explore your Octane settings. I don't know what GPU(s) you have but 12 minutes per frame seems really long to me.

Have you tried:

-Lower samples

-Adaptive sampling

-AI noise reduction

?

• Topic Author
  • I'm running three cards: 

1. Nvidia GTX 1080 FTW
    2. Nvidia M5000
    3. Nvidia M5000

Adaptive sampling is now on, thanks for that tip. I originally had 12000 samples, I reduced it down to 2000 and the image looks a little fuzzier but it's OK I think, but it reduced the render times down to 1 minute per-frame, so hurrah! I'd really like to get it under 30 seconds so I can render a 60 second animation overnight or in less than 12 hours. AI noise reduction, I will look into! I felt spoiled being able to render frames in under 10 seconds haha, but the render looks much nicer than it did with HDRI.