Cerbera

VR Sculpting...

I've been quietly dismissing VR as being largely none of my business, despite being vaguely interested in its immersive graphical possibilities, but then I saw this, and am now a good deal more interested, to the point where I have almost certainly got to go and get one ! :) Check out this interactive VR sculpting of a full character using the off-the-shelf Medium software that comes with the Occulus Rift S, which is only £400.

What impressed me most is that he'd only been at that for 3 days before he did this character (although granted he looks like he really knows what he's doing with regular sculpting, and is doing very well to sort that out with no reference), but the tools look really easy to be very accurate with, in a way that even a stylus can't be...

So just sharing that in case anyone else is as late to the party as I am :)

CBR

• Like 2

Don't know if you've seen this VR stylus that was recently announced.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/promo/vr-ink.html

Was going to try sculpting in Medium tonight. Have the Rift S and six other VR headsets. 

Rift S is a good choice for the price if you have an average IPD (Interpupillary Distance).

VR sculpting is definitely the future.  I messaged 3Dcoat many months ago about this and they said they have a team working on it.  When 3Dcoat releases it I'm sure it will be great. 

Hopefully C4D will get a VR update allowing all tools to be used in VR with some improvements to their sculpting including dynamic meshes and good retopology tools.

• Like 1

Valve Index is the only rational choice.

4 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Valve Index is the only rational choice.

Index will be much harder to get. Preordering now, you won't see your VR setup until early October.

Rift S will be more readily available as well as half the price.

In addition to the Oculus Medium sculpting app, there is:

SculptVR

MasterpieceVR

Other popular artistic apps to check out in VR are:

Tilt Brush

Quill

SculptVR, MasterpieceVR, and Tilt Brush are also available on Steam, while Medium and Quill only on the Oculus store.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jimh said:

Index will be much harder to get. Preordering now, you won't see your VR setup until early October.

The best things are worth waiting for. And why would anyone want a product from FaceBook? I feel dirty just thinking about it. 

The people doing serious, interesting things in VR are mostly doing it w/ Vive and now it's proper successor, the Index. The Logitech Stylus might someday work with other products but for now it is just Steam (Vive/Index)

Index = Best in Class visuals, best refresh, best field of view, best comfort and best, most human controllers. This from a review of trusted guys who have extensively used all the major VR systems.

3D Apps for Valve/Index not mentioned above: Gravity Sketch.

Story released recently demos how Ford Auto is using Gravity Sketch:

https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-designing-vehicles-using-3d-virtual-reality

Unreal and Unity have VR editing modes. 

2 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

The best things are worth waiting for. And why would anyone want a product from FaceBook? I feel dirty just thinking about it. 

Couldn't agree more.

If you don't mind waiting, it should be a great headset.

@Icecaveman

Are you getting an Index?

The first batch should start shipping most likely the week of the 17th.

hey Jim...to answer your question...

I already have a Gen 1 Vive. I was an early adopter. I'd say there's a 50-50 chance I'll be buying at least some of the Index Gear this year. The hardware is interoperable so I could upgrade HMD and/or controllers...or full package.

I also want to build a new 3d workstation PC...so it will be a budget decision.

Is it worth me doing another poll on this? If there are enough C4D users out there that now have a vive/rift I could write a sculpting tool that lets you use the C4D sculpting tools in VR. Could also add volumetric sculpting tools as well. If not this year then perhaps next year will see more adoption and this kind of development might make sense to do as a business. Hard for me to compete with the other free sculpting VR tools though.

• Like 3

Don't forget the PimaxVR.

With a possible 4k per eye and a huge field of view I hear it's pretty nice.