• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Jami Stewart

Creating Texture on Sphere Help

Hello All!

I just joined here so hopefully I am posting in the right spot.  What I want to do is texture a Sphere like the photo attached. I've made my image ration 1:2 and selected Spherical mapping. I have also tried UV mapping and Cylindrical mapping but no matter what I do my texture still gets funky at the top. I am trying to make it look just like the attached photo. I've attached mine and the example I'm trying to achieve.

I'm also using V-Ray.  Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 8.12.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 8.09.57 AM.png

Try using a Hexahedron sphere type instead of the Standard.  You may need to edit the UVs as well.

This will be a very difficult task in my book, considering the orderly nature of your material.  You're almost literally trying to put a square peg in a round hole here.  My guess is, if you got the model they used to render the example image, and you turned it around, the back would be distorted. 

I could be wrong though and maybe there's a technique or tool out there that makes this dead simple.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for your reply! I am getting my textures from textures.com and all of the models are shown on a sphere shown in the picture attached. I just want to replicate that look on a sphere but mine come out distorted.  I tried changing my sphere to the Hexahedron but to no avail :-/  

It seems it is common for people to display textures on spheres when they are selling them - I just don't know how they do it!

https://www.textures.com/browse/3d-scans/114548#wood

I don't think it necessarily matters what geo the sphere is made of, as we can control the mapping separately. But that is not to say we have any mapping mode that will do what your preview is doing...

If we look at the textures on that website, we see that most of them are actually Substances, and procedural, which means the the previews were probably made there, and use its own specific mapping that works with their substances. i don't know much about that not being a substance user myself, but there are a good few people here who do and can probably tell you.

But I don't think we have anything like that in Cinema. Our standard projections are fine in most instances, but it is a well known thing that a sphere is one of the most difficult things to map with a recto-linear image, unless it has been designed from the ground up to work on a sphere. The texture will always stretch towards the poles as you have found.

Ordinarily we would try to rotate that sphere so the camera sees as little of the poles as possible, or we could use something like TriPlanar mapping, but that is not suited to tiled patterns like yours.

CBR

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

not being a substance user myself

LOL!  I'm glad you're not a substance user, @Cerbera!  I'm not either- the legal or the illegal kind.  Stay clean, kids!

But seriously, glad to hear I'm not crazy and that this is really hard.  I think you're right too about it being a Substance Designer material that's fully procedural.

Heres a little side take on this subject using the polar co ordinates filter in pshop, which doesn't solve the impossible problem, but does solve the squiffy pole issue but then introduces a problem at the equator if we can call it that.

But it seems to my simple brain that some sort of extra distortion at the equator might solve it, tho I guess there is something I haven't thought about.

A sort of reverse distortion of what you get when creating a HDR or panorama.

Changing the V offset on the tag opens up the pole. I couldn't find a herringbone pattern in my content browser so not sure how that would look

I will attach the texture as separate jpg.

Deck

brick test polar.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.40.02.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.25.08.png

Brick sphere 02.c4d

I believe this is just flat projection mapped, fit to object, and rendered with a camera straight on. No uv unwrapping or polar-coordinate textures needed. Check my rough mockup scene attached. I did this in VRay 3.4. As long as the camera is straight on, any stretching at the edges is hidden by the curve of the sphere. Higher resolution textures will look much better than this, of course. 

417274600_SphereTexturing01.thumb.jpg.6321c076c1d96d29c98c0ee325366227.jpg

Sphere Texturing 01.zip