• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
xiaopig

Gradient Displacement Question

Hi all,I would like to ask how to make this displacement effect,I tried to use C4D displacement deformer and Linear Falloff,but it doesn't work very well.

1.thumb.png.e46ab43c5ae712733f683c30b385bcd3.png

I tried to use octane displacement material,but the triangular edge cracked,and i dont know how to make this gradient displacement,any tips are greatly appreciated!

2.png.70b687ffb5c8aa7fe91e89a75e920cde.png

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Edited by Cerbera
Capitals in Titles, moved to correct section

The problem here is two-fold.

1. The falloff on a displacer is not capable of giving you the transition you want

2. The displacement you are applying has so far been based on polygon normals, which means negative displacement will make the surfaces pass through each other.

Fix the first problem by doing the displacement  using a Layer material and a Turbulent Gradient as a Mask to determine where the damage appears.

Fix the second problem by changing the Displacement mode to Spherical.

I don't know about Octane, I don't have that, but this sort of thing is certainly possible in native Cinema with the Displacer.

1022512627_pyramiddisp.thumb.jpg.7afe6fb12c934b04c49ecbb318be97f5.jpg

To get the level of detail in your preview with displacement alone you would need 10s of millions of polys in the geometry. For that reason, I suggest you only do the largest forms with displacement, and do the small detail with normal / and or bump maps, where you can control delta values to achieve that epic level of detail..

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, Cerbera said:

The problem here is two-fold.

1. The falloff on a displacer is not capable of giving you the transition you want

2. The displacement you are applying has so far been based on polygon normals, which means negative displacement will make the surfaces pass through each other.

Fix the first problem by doing the displacement  using a Layer material and a Turbulent Gradient as a Mask to determine where the damage appears.

Fix the second problem by changing the Displacement mode to Spherical.

I don't know about Octane, I don't have that, but this sort of thing is certainly possible in native Cinema with the Displacer.

1022512627_pyramiddisp.thumb.jpg.7afe6fb12c934b04c49ecbb318be97f5.jpg

To get the level of detail in your preview with displacement alone you would need 10s of millions of polys in the geometry. For that reason, I suggest you only do the largest forms with displacement, and do the small detail with normal / and or bump maps, where you can control delta values to achieve that epic level of detail..

CBR

thanks a lot,It helps me a lot,i make the layer material look terrible,can you provide the c4d file?

Sure - there you go...

Masked Displacement.c4d

Careful when you turn the SDS on; it'll take a while to update.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I appreciate your help.Thanks