• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Monstrphil

Dental Reception Room

Hi Guys,

Been busy with work and home lately and haven't done any posting or even lurking.......

Just got done for a job request at my work where the designer wanted a very specific reception room at a dentist office. Had to be white, modern chairs (content browser - LOL) and concrete floors. Also had to put that graphic on the wall. Did a little post in Photoshop as well. Rendered in Octane.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks.

DrDanielle_Reception_sm.jpg

It's a good start, for sure!  From what I can tell the modeling seems excellent and I like the details you've added like the curved part in the ceiling and little fire sprinklers.  Unfortunately, the lighting and textures aren't doing your scene any favors.  It's very flat right now.  Try adding a large window on one of the 2 walls of the room that are not currently visible, close to the corner.  This will throw some contrast into the scene.  The reflections on almost every object are just not very convincing.  I was surprised to see that you rendered with Octane because it looks like a Standard Render with default specular highlights on everything.  The greenish glass on the wall should have much sharper reflections, for instance.  Also those hanging sconce lights should be lighting up on the white parts if that is supposed to be frosted glass.  Right now it looks like white painted metal, which isn't particularly appealing to me.

Hopefully this is all constructive and not too negative.  I really think that with a few tweaks this could be a solid scene!

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the feedback. I am fairly new to Octane and still trying to figure out lighting. What's funny is that our designer likes things flat........so she was pretty happy with this. There are a lot of things that I am working thru (black body emissions is one of them). Thank you for the feedback.

Hi Phil,

I think you're in a good starting place here.  The thing that stands out to me a bit is I'm not sure where to focus.  I feel like the composition needs some work  - my eye isn't sure where to go.  Right now, it's drawn to the white wall between the paint Graphic and the glass wall (there seems to be a ies light hitting there (above the plant) without a motivating light fixture.

I can see the repeating pattern of the wood in your desk front - you can easily clean that up real quick in Photoshop with the healing brush.

I'd opt for carpet to warm it up a bit, but if you're going with polished concrete, I think you should make a it a bit more reflective to try and give it a bit more depth.  Keep going - light/white interiors are really hard!  Great start.

e.

evanalexander.com     Abusing chromatic aberration heavily since 2011....

• Topic Author
  • These are great. But the composition was given to me to match. My designer wanted concrete floors, that wood plank on the desk and everything white (with that wall art). I probably should have said all this in the beginning.

I originally had a column to separate the front from the back (rough wood) and more items on the counter (bigger plant in a red glazed pot). I probably should have noticed the repeating pattern in the wood (that was changed too to a lighter -Maple - look_.

Great Feedback. Thank yout

The small details are satisfying, like the wall base contours, electric outlet, crown mould at the soffit, pamphlet display, and the fire sprinklers. The lighting and overall feel is a bit stark, but I understand you needed to adhere to the standards of the designer. Nice work.

Nice  work overall!

Personally though, I'd randomize the chairs a tiny tiny bit, like rotate them randomly and adjust the spacing between them a bit more. I know that pictures like this need to look as perfect as possible but I think there's a point where something becomes too perfect to feel "good". A tiny bit more variation might go a long way there.

Also, maybe I'm blind but the "anchors" of the giant piece of glass on the backwall seem to be too close to the border at the bottom but perfectly aligned at the top.

overall  really good, the only thing is left side of desk where it turns and heads back to wall.  there is something about it that just feels "off", I dunno what, can't put my finger on it,  just something that seems not right about it.  

what you need now is background noise of the whining, buzz of the drill as the dentist tortures . . . I mean works on the patient.  :confused:

I don't have a dirty mind because I use Mental Floss.