Animation: Small Engine 4 Stroke Theory

This is my first product since learning Cinema4D:

Made with:

• Cinema4D R19
  • Octane (Renderer)
  • X-Particles (Air/fuel Particles)
  • TurbulanceFD (Explosion particles)
  • Poliigon (Materials/textures)
  • Okino PolyTrans (CAD Conversion to .C4D). 
  • Premiere Pro CC19 (Video Editing)
  • After Effects CC19 (Post production animations)
  • Photoshop CC19 (Graphics)
  • Premiumbeat (Music)
  • VoiceBunny (Voice Over)

To get to this point, it took me 18 months. The original CAD model was what I had to start with which was given to me by an engineer who originally designed this engine, turns out the once clean CAD model conversion process made my .C4D geometry a disaster, but luckily it isn't really noticeable in the final render. I'm evidently a really slow learner, and had a lot of difficulty getting some things figured out. The mechanical parts all move with a single keyframe, and all other parts are tied to the original keyframe with Xpresso. The Turbulance FD and X-Particles are keyframed. This .C4D file was 500mb and consisted of over 2000 incremental saves, totaling over 1TB of data. It wasn't until the project was over I was able to compress it to 25 individual animations, so in total this project was archived at around 20gb. 

This video could not have been made without direct help from:

Also videos made from:

• Matt Milstead
  • Lonnie Busch
  • Andy Needham
  • Ian Robinson
  • Donovan Keith
  • Ben Watts
  • Mike Batchelor
  • Scott Pagano
  • GreyScaleGorolla/Brograph/Lynda
  • David Mikucki 

I want to thank any of you who are listed and end up finding your way here. I appreciate the patience you had with me to get to this point especially. A lot of this for does not come naturally, as my background is in video editing mostly and I am more of a technical person than a creative/artistic person. My memory is often really bad, so I had to record small tutorials on the way to remind me how I did some of the things I did. 

If I were to go back in time: I wish I found a mentor, someone to hold my hand through this project from end-to-end, because looking back I really could have made this in a week if I had a guiding hand through the whole process - I figure that is next to impossible though, so C4DCafe will be where I continue to seek future help! Creating realistic looking explosions was a huge headache, and while TurbulanceFD was the path I chose for this project, I really would like to find a way to do the same thing within X-Particles or something so that I don't need to buy two separate plugin's down the road when it comes time to upgrade. 

I'll be back with a new video soon on, carburetors ;) 

Thanks again C4DCafe, you've been invaluable. 

Good job and congrats. Animation is great, keep up the good work mate! :)

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

Wow, congrats on persevering through that long haul!  I've never had a project last that long.  I can imagine you're very happy to move on from it!  Great work, especially on the TFD fire!

• Topic Author
  • 38 minutes ago, natevplas said:

Wow, congrats on persevering through that long haul!  I've never had a project last that long.  I can imagine you're very happy to move on from it!  Great work, especially on the TFD fire!

Thx! Yeah it was a project I had to fit in with all my other responsibilities at work, I run Briggs & Stratton's video studio so there's anywhere from 1-24 other video projects happening at the same time haha. 

7 hours ago, Igor said:

Good job and congrats. Animation is great, keep up the good work mate! :)

Thanks for all your help Igor on this in 2017/2018, you were a rockstar! 

Awesome work. I love mechanical type animations. There's a lot of satisfaction in getting everything working.