Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Replacing blank background in AE

I have this scene where I blow up two buildings...

I have the video plate after which I did the tracking and inserted the models (in Cinema 4D).

Now, in After Effects I compose them (the scene with the models are rendered with Alpha channel). 

My problem is after blowing up the building there are the same building standing in the video plate. I know I would have to mask them out (and track the mask as well along the scene)...but then how do I replace the blank space there with the blue sky seamlessly  (and add eventually some more trees and maybe some other buildings, like they were behind the buildings I just blown).

Not sure where to start...any ideas?

composition-AE.jpg

I know this is a few weeks old but thought I'd reply in case you hadn't figured it out!

Here's personally how I would tackle this:

You probably didn't need to roto the house out. I'd have saved out a frame of your original film, opened it in Photoshop, and airbrushed a clean frame of sky and background - you could also add some stock photos of trees and other detail. This your 'clean plate'. You would then save this with the original footage switched off, so you just have an alpha with your new airbrushing and stock images on. It may look a bit weird and messy but that's fine! You then track your background using Mocha, and put your Clean Plate into place. You then have a clean background to integrate your 3D on to!