Sam Waldow

Should I make my own models / materials

Hello!

I've spent the last month or two deep diving into C4D & Redshift (absolutely loving it by the way!), and large parts of the many tutorials that I've watched include lots of information about the basics & essentials of modeling and material-making(?). In the time that I've spent learning, I've also discovered the wide range of models and materials available for download (some free and some paid) and am really curious on where I should draw the line.

Should I strive to only use models and materials that I myself create, only resorting to downloading when I've hit a wall? Or is it completely fine and normal to build scenes using mostly models and materials that I've downloaded off the internet to save time.

I understand the importance of knowing how  to make models and materials well, but am very curious how to approach the matter from a professional level and at a personal level as I improve my skills later down the line. (For example is it weird to post artwork that I've made that's comprised mainly of models and materials that I myself did not make)

Thank you!

This depends on what type of clients you will service. Often it makes sense to buy models and textures, or hire another person(s) for larger projects. It also depends if you actually like to model or texture yourself. Most animators don't and are in love in motion :)

There is nothing wrong in either approach and you should utilize the one which makes most sense at given moment and circumstances, however it is good to know that you can do something yourself if something you are after is not available....

• Like 1

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

This depends on what type of clients you will service. Often it makes sense to buy models and textures, or hire another person(s) for larger projects. It also depends if you actually like to model or texture yourself. Most animators don't and are in love in motion :)

There is nothing wrong in either approach and you should utilize the one which makes most sense at given moment and circumstances, however it is good to know that you can do something yourself if something you are after is not available....

Thank you very much! I guess it being on a project-by-project basis makes the most sense! I guess I'll aim to learn as much a I can and buy when I need to!

I do both depending on the situation and project. I'm a production designer, so I model the set and custom objects, but an Eames chair or a drum kit are things that I would rather buy. Two things to think about : on client jobs, I build cost into the proposal for stock models on each job, but I am also happy to use models from my library if they are appropriate. All that said, there are limitations about use and distribution, so if you have to give your 3d files to your client, or share them in a larger pipeline, you have to be mindful of that. Some models have editorial only usage and can't be used in say an advertising campaign. You can read more about this on Turbosquid. 

• Like 1

evanalexander.com     Abusing chromatic aberration heavily since 2011....

• Topic Author
  • 14 hours ago, EAlexander said:

I do both depending on the situation and project. I'm a production designer, so I model the set and custom objects, but an Eames chair or a drum kit are things that I would rather buy. Two things to think about : on client jobs, I build cost into the proposal for stock models on each job, but I am also happy to use models from my library if they are appropriate. All that said, there are limitations about use and distribution, so if you have to give your 3d files to your client, or share them in a larger pipeline, you have to be mindful of that. Some models have editorial only usage and can't be used in say an advertising campaign. You can read more about this on Turbosquid. 

oh thank you! I honestly didn't even consider usage rights in a professional standpoint. So i guess at the end of the day it all comes down to "Does it make sense for me to spend the time to make this or is it more beneficial for me to purchase it". Thank you!

As someone starting off do something you want to do.  If that is animating a certain character buy or obtain the character and learn how to animate it.  If you like to sculpt use 3Dcoat, Zbrush.  VR sculpting programs are also looking pretty good and could be added to 3Dcoat or Zbrush.  Focus on creating and doing what you want to do as you learn.  Worry about the licensing stuff when you get a paid job.

Modeling and materials are my least favorite parts of the animation process, so I skip them whenever possible. Knowing HOW to do those is crucial because: 1) stock models often have errors, inefficiencies, or require modifications to fit what you're doing, so don't ever expect to just buy a model and drop it into your scene. 2) it's nearly impossible to fill a project with just stock models, so you'll almost always need to supplement with original models to have everything you need.

My first major short film was made almost entirely with stock models. It kept costs low and allowed me to move quickly into animation. Now that I'm working on a feature film, I'm hiring modelers to create original models for all the characters and primary models, and will limit stock models to the background. This also means we'll have exclusive copyright over all the main models in the film - which is extremely important for the value of the film and any derivative properties.