Sign in to follow this  
vtooth

Change Colour on Dynamic Collision

Posted (edited)

I have set up a scene where a ball collides with a row of dominoes in a cloner. Everything is looking great, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to have the clones change color after being struck by the previous clone. Basically, I need the dominoes to change color as they are falling, preferably initiated by the dynamic collision from the previous clone in the line. I truly hope someone might have some good advice for me! Thank you in advance!

Edited by Cerbera
Retitled for accuracy / moved to correct section

If you make the cloner editable, it's easy. This scene uses a Python list to store the collision data

doms 3.c4d

I'm like the guy who only has a hammer, and sees everything as a nail - I see every problem as needing XPresso + scripting...

I also couldn't find solution for using clones. My idea was to bake animation of clones and then transfer animation data to polygonal objects and get collision detection that triggers material change. I couldn't find the way to lock the new material though..Probably use of freeze node or similar would work.

But boy... jed's example is great !

Colour_Change_On_Collision.c4d

@bentraje I've had problems in the past trying to interface iteration with a Python node - every iteration step is seen as a Python event, triggering a calculation.

In this file, if you add a line to print the list, in the console there's 40 lines per frame - in some circumstances this can lock things up.

• Topic Author
  • Wow, I cannot thank y'all enough for taking the time to help me out on this! I had no idea it would be so complex, hopefully I can make sense of it with my fairly simplistic knowledge of the program! It looks awesome nonetheless!