Sign in to follow this  
SDiraptor

Global material sizing?

Hey all, I'm trying to work out how the material sizing works...  I'm a bit confused about something.

1. So I start by opening a new file

2. Create a few planes, and make them a random set of sizes

3. I group them into a null object, and apply a material to the null.

What I'm finding weird is that because the default tiling is 1 tile per plane, the result is the materials are scaled differently on different size objects.  When I create a material, say it's carpet tiles for instance...  Whatever size floor area I apply the carpet materials to, I still want the carpet tiles to be the same size don't I?  You wouldn't put big carpet tiles in big rooms and small carpet tiles in small rooms...

So I want some advice on workflows.  Do people using C4D really sit down and work out how many times they want the material to tile over a given object?  Or (this seems logical to me) is there a way to set a global scale in millimetres or something, whereby a material will always be the same size no matter the size of the object I want to apply it to?

The core issue being that I have some models that with a few hundred parts in them.  I want to apply a default paint texture to the all the parts within a null but I'm having issues with different size parts within the null having different scaling of materials, and I don't want to manually apply a material to hundreds of parts and work out the correct sizing of each one - it would take forever!!

See screenshots below which demonstrates the different default scaling of textures.

image.thumb.png.4ce5a802c3c19e0df21abee4957343e5.png

image.png.b501c07a7b76b6363b487c81a93d26b2.png

This is because you have selected UV mapping as the type, or rather haven't changed it to anything more suitable. 

Set it to Flat, then rotate the texture if needed via the Texture Mode, and then it should be consistent across all the objects, and you can scale as you like...

661668765_NullFlatMapping.thumb.jpg.2aa170c05a52e91dd7deb2597997d298.jpg

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Great, that's what I was looking for!  And just about as simple as I could have hoped.

I changed to flat and got a load of lines, so I guess I need to rotate the texture as you mentioned - how do I do this?

Guess I'll read up on the projection options too.

Thanks for your help!

Flat projection (needs rotating)

image.thumb.png.4558600696673d10444c08afc863a4f0.png

Cubic projection

image.thumb.png.ba340b8c62d51249b7d764899b2d4118.png

Cubic will work out of the box, but as I mentioned in the first post you'd rotate the flat mapping with Texture Mode. It's the little checkerboard icon under Object mode. Then use standard rotate tool, holding shift to quantize the transform so you can get exactly 90 degrees.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Got it, thanks!