Sign in to follow this  
doldidoldi

Spaghetti texture

Hello all I need some help.

I am trying to texture some  spaghetti - wet and translucent and somewhat reflective texture. Please refer to image. Any ideas would be most Wellcome. Plus render settings suggestions.

Thanks in advance

val

bright-ideasArtboard-4.jpg

Hi

What you need is not a texture but a material that uses SSS (Subsurface scattering)  Your need to use reflection also.  Your need to get the right roughness for the reflection.  In this good video, it shows the basics of SSS and AO inverse to get a cheaper effect.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thank you so much Dan. I was just looking at this. but the reflections are hard to get... Was not thinking of bump...Cheers.What about the actual render settings. Any suggestions. DO I need global as this will be moving....

Kind regards

1 hour ago, doldidoldi said:

Thank you so much Dan. I was just looking at this. but the reflections are hard to get... Was not thinking of bump...Cheers.What about the actual render settings. Any suggestions. DO I need global as this will be moving....

Kind regards

If you choose a more accurate reflection like GGX or Beckmann thats a good start, set this up in a PBR material, its faster at render time.  Specular will fake reflections, reflection strength will use real reflections, and Roughness will control how shiny the surface is.  Small values will show more reflections like a snooker ball, and larger values will produce blurred reflections.  You dont need GI, you can use a large area light above the scene to simulate a GI fill.  First thing is to get the scene looking good with the right lighting then set up your materials to react to that lighting.  This is when you get the reflection correct and colour.  Inverse square falloff type will get your more accurate lighting more so when it comes to shadows, this is found in the details tab of the light object.  Once you get that sorted then start to add SSS and fine tune it.

GI does look nice but at the cost of render time, so experiment.

Dan

1 minute ago, Rectro said:

If you choose a more accurate reflection like GGX or Beckmann thats a good start, set this up in a PBR material, its faster at render time.  

If OP does have R13 as his profile says, he won't have any of that...

CBR

20 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

If OP does have R13 as his profile says, he won't have any of that...

CBR

Yes your right.  I didnt even start using C4D till r16.  Was it that different that he cant translate this info over?

Dan

It didn't have reflectance or PBR anything, but he can use the (now) legacy reflection channel. He also would have a much older slower SSS.

CBR

Just now, Cerbera said:

It didn't have reflectance or PBR anything, but he can use the (now) legacy reflection channel. He also would have a much older slower SSS.

CBR

At least it looks like the new SSS was introduced in r13.

https://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/how-to-setup-and-use-sub-surface-scattering-in-cinema-4d-r13/

I think it was in r16 that the new reflectance was introduced.  Unless r13 had any changes this video may be more useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXnVSE0WcDs

Moving from that maybe an external render engine would be better if they are compatible with r13.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Hello again. Cheers all. I am actually using R20 not sure were to change this info> I shall update you with my results... 

thank you

• Topic Author
  • Just one last question do I need Fresnel in reflections?

5 minutes ago, doldidoldi said:

Just one last question do I need Fresnel in reflections?

Fresnel effects the angle in which you see reflections off a surface.  The conductor type is for metals, hence your see a list of presets. Dielectric is for everything else.  For spaghetti, not sure your have a use for it, but its worth noting that if your lacking reflection on a surface at the angle your shot is you can use this to help.  The higher the IOR the more towards the centre of the object the reflection shows, the lower more towards the outside.

Not sure if you've solved the modeling problem yet, but this might be useful: