Sign in to follow this  
ColdWater

Connect Objects + Delete Axis Behaviour

Just transitioned from R16 to R20 and I noticed that when I do a Connect + Delete  on objects, the pivot of the newly created merged object is in the center of the previous meshes.

I'm used to the pivot of the merged object being set to the top-most object in the hierarchy (before Connect + Delete) and I'd really like that back, somehow.

Edit: I know I can do this by dropping the top object in a null that's at the same pos&rot and Connect + Delete then, but I'd prefer to skip this step altogether.

Is this the new way in R20? Is this a setting I can set somewhere? 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Cerbera
Retitled for accuracy / later search use

This was deliberately changed in R18 and has been the same ever since - Axis does get moved to average of 2 objects. But I can see why the old way would be useful (and faster), and might petition to get that behaviour restored. However that isn't the way it works now, and I am unaware of any preference setting to change this for Connect Objects + Delete.

However, there is another way altogether, via the Connect object. Select the mesh whose axis you want to preserve, hold alt and add the connect, which will make it a parent of that object. Now drag the other object under that (order not important now) select the Connect and hit C to make that editable, which will preserve the axis at the point it was before you did that. Don't forget to untick both Weld Points and Centre Axis in the Connect before you do this.

CBR

Thanks for the quick reply & explanation @Cerbera.

I will have to get used to this then...

I'm afraid so...

CBR