• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Beefdoctor

Problem Mixing Colours With Vertex Maps

I'm hoping there is a material Guru here that can help me. I have a problem that's been doing my nut in all day. I'll try and be as concise as possible.

I'm trying to create a single material that uses two separate Vertex maps to blend two colours together. I'll give you a brief description of my scene so you can understand how these vertex maps are being generated. 

I have a scene in which I'm using Realflow for C4D, I have two emitters filling a container and one mesher object. In the mesher object there is a checkbox called "weights", checking this on means that when the scene is cached two animated Vertex Maps are created, each relating to the two emitters.

Weight 0                                                                    Weight 1
image.thumb.png.72863ade719624a3fbe6f26d78cd2dc7.png   image.thumb.png.66a16fc6eb05d74854d0087dc98b4d7d.png   

Ok, on to the material. In the colour channel of my material I have created a Layer Shader, inside that I created two colours with a Vertex Map Shader between them, I've placed "weight 1" in the Vertex Map Shader and set the blend mode to "Layer Mask" this is the result.

Layer Shader                                                                                                       Result 1
image.thumb.png.9555ecb0d41c15652e91d7201686c27e.png     image.thumb.png.b5c6ab0a1bc98a85f124d4dc043d1112.png  

There's a couple of problems with this result, the colours seem to be getting multiplied with white for some reason, and obviously the colours aren't blending to create green.  Is this a limitation of the RGB colour model? and if so what can I do to get around it?

Cheers

EDIT: Just so you all know, I have attempted a more elaborate material with no joy, I didn't want to post the details here because this post would be huge. I'll expand further if required.

Check out my C4D tutorials at Digitalmeat.uk

I'm wondering if the layer mode should play a role here? IRL mixing colors is additive with light and subtractive with paint/ink.

*Edit: I think I'm off base, but maybe this will help instead..

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Vizn said:

I'm wondering if the layer mode should play a role here? IRL mixing colors is additive with light and subtractive with paint/ink.

*Edit: I think I'm off base, but maybe this will help instead..

Thanks for link, although I've already seen that video. I highly suspect they are mixing clear fluids to avoid the problem I'm having, and if you look closely the fluids aren't actually mixing, they are just sat next to each other with some smoothing on the edge of the vertex map.

In any case, I scraped together my own solution today, I'll create a tutorial and post it here when I'm done. For now here's an example of the result.

• Topic Author
  •