Sign in to follow this  
jed

Aspect Ratio conundrum

I was watching a video today and the guy mentioned a weird fact about C4D, aspect ratio and pixel size. It's about making the distance to subject equal to the subject width, for a standard camera. Well, it puzzled me...

I'm really bad at math, though I understood what he did there. I don't see the problem though? What's the point? Please enlighten me :ohmy:

It's actually not that confusing when you look at the numbers that drive the field of view (Focal length: 36mm. Sensor Size: 36mm).  So just imagine the video, except the drawing is from the lens to the sensor, rather than lens to subject. Therefore, 36mm from the front of the lens to the sensor, and the sensor is 36mm wide.  It's just a weird product of the math that this equates to the non-round, 53.13 degrees.

I'm not sure where 36 comes from, but 35mm is the sensor size (aka film gate) of traditional 35mm film., and the 35mm lens is the most commonly used lens with 35mm film. (It seems that the corresponding focal length and sensor size produces the field of view that most closely resembles what the human eye sees). 

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, DeCarlo said:

35mm lens is the most commonly used lens with 35mm film.

When I used to use 35mm (film) SLRs, standard lens was 50mm - I imagine it varies nowadays for digital cameras, iPhones etc.

I was just a bit surprised when the guy in the video casually set the camera distance to the object width. The tutorial was about looping gifs and was so poor, this lens thing was about all I learned from it ::):.

3 hours ago, jed said:

When I used to use 35mm (film) SLRs, standard lens was 50mm - I imagine it varies nowadays for digital cameras, iPhones etc.

I was just a bit surprised when the guy in the video casually set the camera distance to the object width. The tutorial was about looping gifs and was so poor, this lens thing was about all I learned from it ::):.

Yes, 50 and 55mm are also considered "standard." The longer focal length provides a shallower DoF and the narrower field of view, and both are preferred for a lot of photography.  And, of course, live-action shooting styles have changed over time.