• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Amy Sterling

Why is Depth of Field switching so much?

Hello there! I'm working to add some depth of field to a neuron animation for the first time and it keeps coming out where the focus regularly and dramatically changes. 

Here is an example :

Here are my camera settings - increasing the Fstop reduced but didn't fix the problem. 

image.thumb.png.6603f74ad69211d430cbde49badfbfda.png

I am using octane but posting in general rendering as this is a generic issue. 

Thanks for any ideas! 

Amy

You have Auto Focus enabled which completely disables the Focal Depth setting.

Almost right with the section we're posting in, Amy, but don't forget that Octane doesn't come with Cinema, so this should be in 3rd Party Renderers. I'll pop it over there now for you :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks @DasFrodo

@Cerbera  is depth of field not a generic feature of C4D or is it only Octane? Sorry! For what it’s worth when I’ve posted in that category no one answers :/ and the only other octane forum I’ve found from OTOY takes like 5 days to get an answer. Maybe I have chosen the wrong renderer!

1 hour ago, Amy Sterling said:

is depth of field not a generic feature of C4D or is it only Octane?

Not when it's happening with an Octane camera tag ;) You don't get less people looking depending on what section stuff is posted in, but you should get more of the right people looking if it's in the right place. If you had Octane somewhere in the title that would be even better !

CBR

Been a while since I used octane, but if I recall correctly you set the depth of field 0. Then you can control the Octane camera tag via the normal c4d camera settings. I would recommend avoiding autofocus via Octane, particularly given the type of scene you're working with where multiple items are crossing the view plane.