Sign in to follow this  
moviaco

Closing Boolean caps

I have made a chair cutting using Boolean. How on earth can I close the cap and make it SOLID? see my screenshot.

Thanks.2019-07-07.thumb.png.ad1ab2549f1953de6543d389014847c8.png

The boole itself would have closed the hole if it had worked, which it might not have done ! They are notoriously unreliable like that. You could try adding segments to the cube, and moving it about subtly and may find a position where the cap is restored, and unchecking 'high quality' in the options may also help.

But really it's a shame this has been made with a boole in the first place, instead of with proper SDS polygon modelling, which would give a far superior result. By making it this way you have severely limited what you can do to the model now because the geometry created by the boole will be horrendous and therefore won't work with a lot of the modelling tools that you would typically use to close a hole like this...

If you don't have the skills for proper poly modelling yet then the volume builder will produce a better result than the boole so maybe consider using that instead.

Additionally, you haven't even shown us a model with lines, so we have no clue what the topology is doing, so can't really advise fully until we see a version that shows us that.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

The boole itself would have closed the hole if it had worked, which it might not have done ! They are notoriously unreliable like that. You could try adding segments to the cube, and moving it about subtly and may find a position where the cap is restored, and unchecking 'high quality' in the options may also help.

But really it's a shame this has been made with a boole in the first place, instead of with proper SDS polygon modelling, which would give a far superior result. By making it this way you have severely limited what you can do to the model now because the geometry created by the boole will be horrendous and therefore won't work with a lot of the modelling tools that you would typically use to close a hole like this...

If you don't have the skills for proper poly modelling yet then the volume builder will produce a better result than the boole so maybe consider using that instead.

Additionally, you haven't even shown us a model with lines, so we have no clue what the topology is doing, so can't really advise fully until we see a version that shows us that.

CBR

I totally understand but this is happening in a cut motion and I don't see how it can be done using SDS modeling. When I unchecked HQ in the Boolean everything goes crazy.  

Ah OK, that makes more sense, but animating with booles is usually even worse than making still models with them , and nearly always produces unpredictable results like this. So in that case I'd say the Volume builder is probably the best way to do this.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Just now, Cerbera said:

Ah OK, that makes more sense, but animating with booles is usually even worse than making still models with them , and usually produces unpredictable results like this.
    So in that case I'd say the Volume builder is probably the best way to do this.

CBR

Tried it too... gives the same "open" result

MVC

Just checking that you know booles only work with closed volumes ? I have just tried an approximation of the scene, and I can get both boole and VB working no problem on a very similar model...

CBR